Sunday, November 9, 2008

Loving Cup

Rummaging through the contents of my freezer, looking for space for some new stuff, I discovered a baggie full of just what the doctor ordered for the grey, chilly, overcast day - chicken soup.

There are two or three packages of broth or soup in my freezer, more or less all the time. Making soup takes a few hours but it's one of those things you can leave on the stove to simmer while you go do something else and, when you return, you have a sustaining meal to eat now or to save for later.

I had made the soup from the bones of a roast chicken many months ago and lovely though it was - deeply golden with big bits of chicken throughout - it was just plain. I decided to tart it up a bit so I added chopped leek, fresh corn kernels and sugar snap pea pods. Sadly, I let the pea pods get overdone but it was still warming and sustaining, rich with veggies in the clear broth. Poured into the bowl My Beloved bought me for my birthday last year, it stuck just the right note to warm the cockles of my heart (whatever they are) and to brighten a dull day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I am so there. We made a pot of fragrant, gelatinous chicken stock yesterday, and then used some of it to make a chicken pot pie.
Warm cockles all around!

Sunday, November 09, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I'm having soup tonight too! My friends invited me over for a hearty lentil stew made with fresh chicken stock, and I have freshly rising buttermilk rolls waiting in the kitchen to take along and bake fresh.

Sunday, November 09, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, chicken pot pie has to be the ultimate comfort food!

Anna, hooray for chicken stock!

Monday, November 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home