Saturday, November 1, 2008

All Saints Day

When I received this book as a gift from my friend Sam via young Naomi who tied it charmingly with this bow and brought it to our brunch at Bette's Ocean View Diner, I was both thrilled and wary - not only is the title, Nose to Tail Eating, slightly daunting but its Introduction is written by Anthony Bourdain who we all know will eat absolutely anything. Sam may label me a gastro-experimentalist (great term, huh? I plan to have that printed on my calling cards) but the sad fact is that I'm not that brave!

I was somewhat reassured, however, by the fact that one of my cooking superheroes, Jamie Oliver, wrote a glowing endorsement on the back cover and the table of contents calmed the rest of my fears - this looks like a heck of a fun cookbook! While it does offer ways to cook things I know I will never find the courage to eat, such as lamb's brains and haggis, it also contains some delicious sounding recipes for things like lamb shanks, pork loin, and roast game birds. Best of all was the invitation Sam included in his card - to revive with him his Culinary Expedition Club, which he founded in Oxford a few years ago - once he finishes his doctoral work and moves here to California some time next year. I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I will read the book to find the recipes I will dare to try and enjoy keeping Naomi company until he comes. By the way, Naomi, Happy Birthday!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy, Zoomie! Culinary Expedition Club eagerly awaits its renaissance!

Saturday, November 01, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm debating about adding that book to my cookbook collection. Some of the things that he cooks with - like lamb's brains - are illegal in the US. Other items are difficult or expensive to get. I remember when ox tail stew and tongue were thrifty; now, they are mega-expensive. Still, I like reading a well-written cookbook. It's relaxing and that's a good thing these days.

Saturday, November 01, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love that book, but I've never cooked a thing from it. Interestingly, my first choice would probably be that tripe terrine, but Cranky's having none of it.
I asked one of my meat purveyors if he could get me an order of pig's ears. No, he said, but he once threw a box of pig's ears on somebody's lawn (or car, I forget) as a joke.

Saturday, November 01, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

How about throwing a party and cooking everything in the book? Just a thought.

Saturday, November 01, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

All I saw in there is that you went to Bette's. Love that place.

Saturday, November 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sam, I'm eager, too, tho' somewhat cautious!

Nancy, I saw oxtails at Andronico's this week, but didn't purchase.

Cookiecrumb, you are a braver person than I am, for sure!

Chilebrown, good idea - when are you going to do that? :-)

Dagny, I enjoyed Bette's this time, too, although it was just so-so the first time I went.

Saturday, November 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home