Thursday, October 30, 2008

Waldorf with a Twist

We had some nice Fuji apples in the fridge but not enough for a pie or a tart, so instead I had the idea to make apple salad. I didn't want a heavy, honest-to-the-recipe Waldorf salad but I did want some sweet and savory crunch.

I diced the apples, some celery and fennel, mixed that all together with some raisins.

All that sweetness needed something to keep it from being cloying, so I added a full lemon's worth of juice and the zest from half the lemon to a very little mayo and stirred them together. Also added a handful of walnut pieces for the nutty bitterness, two green onions, sliced, and a lot of fresh thyme from the garden to slide it over to the savory side. Toss and tumble.

All in all, we were pleased with this twist on the Waldorf.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Sounds great - we had Waldorf on Tuesday, I make a dressing out of yoghurt & lemon juice because I’m trying to be a bit healthy after our recent decadence, I love all the crunch of a Waldorf!

Thursday, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, good idea to use yogurt - wish I had thought of that! You're right, it's the crunch that pleases.

Friday, October 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home