Friday, October 24, 2008

Applesauce, Take Two

Just as I was making applesauce from my generous neighbors' tree, My Beloved's niece Molly wrote a Bon Appetit article about a dessert that has always been my favorite, apple turnovers, and she mentioned that she likes her filling "soft and homey, on the applesauce end of the texture spectrum. I like a filling that, when you take a bite, tries to sneak out and slide down your chin."

Aha!

I simply had to try making apple turnovers with my applesauce - it's chunky anyway. I had played around with Dufour puff pastry once before with good results and happened to have it in the freezer so I decided to risk the turnovers.

They were amazingly easy to make, especially so since I already had the filling. I had not added quite enough apple cider for liquid when I made my first batch of applesauce, but it was perfect for the turnovers as it didn't run - just sat there obediently in the middle of the pastry. If you have runaway applesauce, you can follow Molly's directions (did I mention that she's our family celebrity and we are ever so proud of her? We drop her name at any and all foodie gatherings) and enjoy your apples in a second, more sumptuous, way.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What's with all the puff pastry all of a sudden?
I know: fruit.
Looks beautiful.

Friday, October 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks divine!

Apples are my favorite fruit - thanks!

Friday, October 24, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Just reading this made the drool run down my chin. You could also do this with filo dough for an extra crispy pastry.

Friday, October 24, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I hope next year you will make me some turnovers. I will give some Gravestein apples. I will trade you peppers or any barbeque that you want!

Friday, October 24, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Puff pastry, a must for every freezer. And you know you can do the same thing with any fruit don't you? Mmmmm berry turnovers with cream. sigh.

Friday, October 24, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yeah, fruit - and the fun of trying something new.

Biz, you're welcome! And welcome!

Nancy, need to try that filo one of these days but I'm still having fun with puff.

Chilebrown, let's not wait - I'll make you some _this_ year and gladly accept next year's Gravensteins, too.

Morgan, you're two steps ahead of me but what a great suggestion - only most of our berries are finished for the year. Rats! I might be able to find a few last strawberries, though, and if I do I'll try it!

Saturday, October 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look outrageously yummy.

Sunday, October 26, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

They really are - and so easy! I've made them three times now and they don't last a day!

Monday, October 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home