Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Da Kine Hawaiian Snack

Pretty soon, My Beloved and I are headed to Hawaii to visit our ohana (family) there - we can't wait!

Apparently, the Hawaii contingent is excited, too, because last week
in the mail we got drawings from the children, welcoming notes from the parents and this package of da kine snacks from Hawaii.

I remember Li Hing Mui from my childhood in Hawaii but this is a new wrinkle on that old game. Japanese pretzel-type snacks with Chinese flavorings and a Hawaiian poi pounder on the label - nothing could say "Hawaii" to me more except maybe getting the "shaka" greeting from a friend.

Can't wait to have a malasada from one of those beach trucks, to enjoy mahimahi fresh from my brother's fishing catch, to taste pineapple still warm from the field, to eat Maui onions as a local delicacy and to drink a cup of Lion brand coffee as we walk down Kailua beach at sunrise.

Hawaii no ka oi!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best firends fly to Maui as we speak! I have never been so I am just so excited to hear more about your trip!!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Malasadas! Li Hing Mui!
Hee!
(I'm trying to sound like Iz, laughing here.)
Pondoose!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stop. You're killing me :)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oh my "to taste pineapple still warm from the field" I'm oozing jealousy, just oozing it.

Thursday, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sara, I couldn't begin to describe the beauty and the marvelous people - you'll just have to go yourself.

Cookiecrumb, we LOVE Iz. So sad, so beautiful.

Evlmprs, wish you could come with - if you want me to take anything to your sister, let me know.

Morgan, Oz is not far from Paradise - you and Mr. Brown should go!

Thursday, October 30, 2008  
Blogger jumelager said...

Oh please have a malasada for me....nobody makes them like Leonards! Minnesota just doesn't have them though I can get dried guava...yum.

Thursday, October 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Melissa, I will definitely have one in your honor - and maybe a couple of others, just for me!

Friday, October 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home