Friday, October 31, 2008

Peep-a-Boo!

When I moved to the Bay area, one of the big differences I noted is the emphasis on Hallowe'en. Here, whole giant stores open up in October and everyone really gets into the Hallowe'en spirit (pardon the pun) in a way I had not seen before.

From the first Hallowe'en in our house, we began 12 years (so far) of delightful Hallowe'ens, first with the little kids on our stree
t and, now that they are pretty much grown up, with children from the greater community. The costumes for the most part are not hand made, as they were when I was a kid, but they are charming.

Each year, we are visited by fairy princesses (pronounced "faiwy pw
incess" by the wearers), FBI G-men, goblins and ghouls, bumblebees, cows, devils, kittens, lady bugs, vampires, vamps and, memorably one year, a whole family of superheros from Dad (Superman) to Mom (Wonderwoman) to the caped and tighted kids including a baby in a stroller and even the family Labrador retriever, who had his own cape and S for Superdog on his chest.

Usually My Beloved will dress up a little, too, and why not? He's sort of a big kid, himself. We love Hallowe'en.

So, when I saw these in the store, how could I resist? Ya gotta love Peeps, even when you know they are bad for you and that they will survive Armageddon and be dug up, unchanged
eons into the future, by archeologists studying our culture.

Happy Hallowe'en!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Hooray for Halloween. I will be staying with a friend who lives in a condo with a fair number of kids. So, I'll have the pleasure of handing out treats to real kids while avoiding the 20-something loud and less than cute kids that live above me. Peeps Forever should be our motto!

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I think my evening will be a quiet one. Well, that depends upon my neighbors. One can never know when one lives in a building mostly inhabited by grad students.

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We'll get five kids if we're lucky. But we gots da candy!
And I have my witch's hat.

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, sounds like a great Hallowe'en plan - what costume are you wearing?

Dagny, you can always go Trick-or-Drinking with the college kids...

Cookiecrumb, you'll be a hit in your hat - what's Cranky wearing?

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We didn't get home until late, so we only got the little girl from next door. She got some sweeties (as did her dad) and she gave us some of hers!
Cookie, she wore a witch's hat too!

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Zoomie: Cranky is dressing like a sane person. He's the one who will answer the door, while I lie on the sofa, sipping sherry, with my hat on. I was going to say "and nothing else" but I'm old.

Morgan: I went as a witch once when I was about 10, carrying my real-live black kitten in my non-goodie-sack arm. Man, I scored big time!
(And her name was Shalimar. Thought you'd appreciate that.)

Friday, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you must be living right - I'm the door answerer this year and MB surprised me by not dressing up this year! Go figure.

Friday, October 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home