Monday, November 3, 2008

In the Pink

Your eyes do not deceive, these apple slices are pink. When I read Molly's recipe for apple tart, I decided to make one of my own, but couldn't resist a little twist or two on hers.

First, I substituted store-bought buttery puff pastry for her pie-type pastry - much easier! Then, I sprinkled the sliced apples with ground allspice. The pink twist came about when I added pomegranate seeds to the apple glaze in her recipe.

I had never opened a pomegranate before so I was unprepared for the glorious jewels of the pips nestled snugly amongst the white pith - in fact, I had to read up online for techniques of opening it! I wanted to add the pips to the apple glaze for the sweet-tart flavor that one associates with pomegranates but I fell for the color, a clear, rich, shiny red.

I added a whole pomegranate worth of seeds to the apple glaze made from the cores and skins of the apples in the tart, boiling them down with sugar to make a syrup for glazing. Painted over the cooled tart, it turned the apples from whitish to a playful pink. The flavor was festive, too, exactly the tangy enhancement to the sweet apples that I was hoping for.

The rest of the guests at Meathenge Labs seemed to agree - even Cookiecrumb, who doesn't like desserts, had a bite and said it was tasty, light and surprisingly pink.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I hope I said something more enthusiastic than "tasty"! It was delish.
And pink. :D

Aren't pomegranates Martian?

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

What?! Never opened a pomegranate before? That was the best part of this time of year for me as a kid. That and freshly roasted pumpkin seeds.

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

It was really good and a great treat all Sunday afternoon. Thankee!

Biggles

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm delicious!! I can smell it through the screen!

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am so envious - pomegranates, puff pastry and barbeque. You are indeed lucky.

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

pomegranates are the most amazing things, all leather on the outside and soft rubies inside. Be warned, if you squeeze one of those seeds too close to the eye it can hurt A LOT - dance around the garden in pain - type of hurt!

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, really strange innards but worth the trouble for the pink!

Dagny, yes, but you grew up in California.

Biggles, glad you enjoyed it - seems only right since I was so enjoying your contributions!

Sara, when are they going to add smellivision so the rest of us can do what you do now?

Nancy, if truth be told, I live the Life of Riley!

Morgan, happily, I wear eye protection when cooking - and even when not cooking. Glasses...

Tuesday, November 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home