Thursday, November 6, 2008

Plum Crazy

Now that I'm retired and walking for exercise around our funky 'hood each morning, I actually stop and chat with my neighbors, rather than the hasty wave they got when I was hurrying on my way to the BART station. You'd have to be crazy to dress for walking as I do, given my age and body type, but I do it anyway - I've reached the age where I figure "What the heck." Plus, not only has it improved community relations, it has been a windfall of fruit.

Several of the nearby yards have fruit trees and some of the kind people who live in those houses have given me their extras. Maybe, given my goofy appearance, they're afraid not to? In any case, an example - yellow plums, so sweet and ripe that they splat if they fall from the tree before you gently pick them. My neighbor up the hill gave me six of these little beauties and the idea for making a fruit picker from a bamboo pole and a soda pop bottle which I'm going to try out today.

I combined those six plums with some of the last strawberries of our local season into two small croustades so sweet and yet tangy that they did a little song and dance on the tongue. All I did was halve the plums
and strawberries and arrange them on a crust*, sprinkle them with a little allspice and wrap the crust partway around the fruit before painting it with a egg white and sprinkling with just a touch of sugar. Popped them into a 400 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes and out came these crazy good little tarts, one for me and My Beloved and one for my neighbor to say "Thanks a bunch!"

We're nuts about our neighbors.

*If you want the crust recipe, look here: http://zoomiestation.blogspot.com/2007/08/cookiecrumb-jyah-pear-croustade.html

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"Hand over your extra fruit or I'll put on this muu-muu!"

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Fruit-picker: When my father was a little boy he and his pal wanted to steal some prize peaches from a neighbor lady's tree in the next yard. He took a cardboard tube from his dad's dept. store -- one that had been inside a rolled carpet -- and they stuck it over the property line up into her tree, shook the peaches gently and caught them as they rolled down. Technically, they did not trespass. I'm not sure she ever figured out why the fruit went missing.

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, far worse! Tights!

Kudzu, I've heard of using a PVC pipe like that, too, but this tree is _tall_! Your naughty Dad!

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Brava!
:D

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

My Grandfather grew plums, and soaked them in 100 proof vodka for a year or so, and called the resulting decoction "plum crazy." We still have a few jars of it.

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, what is it with grandparents, fruit and hooch? When my grandmother went to heaven, we found several jars of brandied peaches in the basement - and no one suspected that she even "canned."

Thursday, November 06, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My Gaddy (grandmother) used to bottle cherries in brandy - they lasted for ever (nearly) and tasted amazing.

Friday, November 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, that's probably the answer - another way to preserve fruit without pickling! The brandied peaches were great on ice cream.

Saturday, November 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home