Friday, November 7, 2008

Yankee Ingenuity

Here's the ingenious fruit picker my uphill neighbor taught me to make. He gave me the bamboo pole - it's about 15 feet long - and I supplied the soda bottle.

I have reinforced this one with duct tape because the first one I made fell apart quickly through pulling hard on all those recalcitrant apples.

All you do is position the square opening in the picker around an apple, maneuver the notch in the bottle bottom (between the two white tapes) around the stem of the fruit, and pull! The fruit drops with a little plop! into the neck of the bottle.

Don't I have clever neighbors? All my friends and family who've gotten applesauce think so!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Wow! That's super-clever. Nice job!

Friday, November 07, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It's fantastic!
I guess the hard part is keeping the bottle attached to the pole.
But. Cool.

Friday, November 07, 2008  
Blogger Vicki said...

That's so cool! I'm going to try it for my fig trees next year.

Friday, November 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, I was amazed by the neighbor's inventiveness.

Cookiecrumb, more duct tape is the answer. Of course, more duct tape is the answer to most problems, isn't it?

Vicki, I've found another neighbor with fruit - this one has wonderful sweet black mission figs - so I might approach them with my picker soon!

Saturday, November 08, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

That is really cool! I can't imagine growning a tree on my deck, but I have a friend in Sonoma with a tall tree laden with apples...

Saturday, November 08, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, okay, let's go next year and help your friend harvest!

Sunday, November 09, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

That sounds like a plan if she's up for it!

Sunday, November 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home