Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Valentine

My Beloved has a fancy name, partly inherited from his grandfather and partly added by his father. It's a grand handle, but a bit much for day-to-day life so he has always been called by nicknames.

When he was very young, less than one year old, they called him Toby. His daughters each have nicknames for him; Sarah calls him Papi and Katie calls him Pookie. I have no idea where these names originated - he was given them years before he and I got together - but he loves them all and enjoys it when we use these affectionate terms for him. His grandfather's nickname was "Butts"; thankfully, day to day, the nickname that most people use for My Beloved is Buzz.

With a name like that, it's no surprise that many gifts to the two of us involve bees. For example, we have a big brass bee as a doorknocker and a set of flatware with bees, thanks to pal Wenirs. Through the years, we have received all kinds of bee logo items and, truth be told, we actually purchased some of them ourselves, so carried away were we with celebrating my guy's playful name. You may have noted that several of my posts appear on our bee plates.

These silly painted metal napkin rings are our latest bee items, four fun ones given to us by Cousin J-Yah just the other day. She gave them to me for my birthday, which happens to fall on Valentine's Day - how very appropriate to be celebrating my Valentine on my birthday!


3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Happy Birthday to you! May you Zoom around for many a year, gathering nectar and making honey - in the kitchen and the Internet. OK - I know that these are lame metaphors but the sentiment is real.

Sunday, February 14, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So what should we give you? A can of non-stick cooking spray! :D
Happy Birthday, darling.
Come to think of it, zooming and buzzing are pretty much the same.

Sunday, February 14, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks for the birthday wishes. So far, I'm enjoying 63.

Cookiecrumb, thanks. It has been a fun day. A little breakfast, some presents, the Daytona 500 (well, I saw the end, anyway) and some Olympics. What an amazing world we live in.

Monday, February 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home