Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Martian Food

Okay, this has to be the most disgusting food picture I've ever taken with my trusty little point-and-shoot camera - and I've taken some Dusies.

The roast chicken in the background looks anemic and is leaking pink. The leeks braised in balsamic vinegar look pallid and weird with the grubby roots dyed brown from the vinegar. The sautéed red cabbage with sliced onion looks, not richly purple as it really was, but a strange shade of Martian blue - it might even be a Martian life form with those wibbly legs. Hard to believe it all tasted good.
Ugh.

Anyway, here's the challenge. In the next week, post your own single ugliest food picture on your blog and leave me a comment with a link to the post and your preference for prize. A blue ribbon panel of judges (My Beloved and I, with input from Cora) will decide on a winner and I'll award a prize, a copy of "A Homemade Life," Molly Wizenberg's marvelous memoir and cook book, or "Eating," Jason Epstein's amusing and juicy book. Both are packed with recipes and either one is a great reason for showing us your most embarrassing food photos.


14 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What - no takers? Actually, I love this image. It could be used in some of the science fiction movies that I used to love.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I think everyone already owns a copy of those two books.

Thursday, February 04, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Being the photo obsessive I am I put bad photos in the bin. No evidence, no crime is my motto. ;)

Thursday, February 04, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, guess I'd have been wise to do so in this case, too!

Thursday, February 04, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I actually had one of my early photos used as a 'bad example' of food photography on the someone else's blog.... I was so mortified (and a wee bit angry) when I accidentally ran across it. Let me think - bet I can find some... My early camera did a fantastically poor job.

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, finally I am online again. I was absent because my computer died, and today was the bestest computer shopping day of my entire life, ever.
And? Yes, I can photo ugly food within an inch of its life.
http://madeater.blogspot.com/2010/02/martian-food-from-venus.html

(You know I prefer Mollie. I don't expect to win, though.)

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, how absolutely humiliating to stumble across that harsh a critique of your photo! Ouch! I can't believe it's as bad as mine, however.

Cookiecrumb, congrats on the new machine. That pig's ear is pretty gross looking, I have to admit.

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Vicki said...

Oh, I've got so many bad pictures.

But I think I'll keep with cookiecrumb's theme, and leave you with another pig ear :)

http://madball911.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-to-do-with-pig-ear-part-ii.html

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Vicki, another contender in the pig's ear category! It's going to be a tough decision. Thanks for the entry.

Sunday, February 07, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://cartman365.tumblr.com/

I will try, neither pic looks very good.

Mike

Sunday, February 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Canyon, are you submitting all those food photos, or just the most recent one? They are truly competitive, I must admit, but choose one and let me know which one you want to enter into the contest, okay? Cheers!

Monday, February 08, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

hang on, found it.

Monday, February 08, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

Yup, it's up. Late, but it's there for all time.

xo, Biggles

Tuesday, February 09, 2010  
Blogger peter said...

I already posted my worst ever food pic, last fall: http://quisimangiabene.blogspot.com/2009/09/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things.html
It's the (worst) I can do right now, what with the new camera taking all the terror out of photography.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home