Saturday, January 23, 2010

From Friend to Friend

This is one of those recipes that is shared from friend to friend - it's so tasty that anyone who tries it begs for the recipe. I got it from my cousin Sherry who got it from her friend Po and heaven only knows where Po got it, but we call it Po's Cornbread. Po always brings it to any pot luck party and we'd all be deeply disappointed if she ever decided to change up her menu.

It's not like any other cornbread I've ever tasted - it's moist and almost custardy inside, very buttery and sweet, studded throughout with whole corn kernels. There's no sugar added but the corn makes it nearly sweet enough to pass as a dessert. It is simple to make, mostly from ingredients that keep for months in the pantry until you need them, then combine quickly for a special treat.

When I was making my blackeyed peas, ham shank and rice dish (is that called Hoppin' John?), the idea of this corn bread flashed as being just right for that combination. It was actually a tad rich for such a hearty meal - we didn't want dessert at all that night - but very delicious, truly a gift from friend to friend.

Po's Corn Bread

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 can (16 oz) corn kernels, drained
1 can (16 oz) sweet creamed corn, undrained
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz. sour cream (I used Greek yogurt as I didn't have sour cream, and it worked fine)
1 tsp salt (this addition was on Sherry's advice. She also suggested a can of minced chilis would be good to add but I didn't have any of those on hand)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the melted butter until mixed, add the rest of the ingredients and mix them all together. Pour into an 8" square baking pan and slide into a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for an hour. When a toothpick or a sharp knife comes out clean from the middle, it is done. Cool before cutting to allow it to "set up" a bit; otherwise, it will fall apart rather than make neat squares.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

What do you suppose would be a good sub for the corn muffin mix(?), given I've got no chance of getting my hands on any over my way? And that stuff sounds delish!

Sunday, January 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, my guess is that the corn muffin mix could be subbed out with whatever dry ingredients make corn muffins (corn meal, baking powder or baking soda?). I'll try to remember to look next time I'm at the store to see how big the box was.

Sunday, January 24, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: I would send you some Jiffy, but it would cost $90. Har!

Sunday, January 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home