Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sprout Soup

I'm inordinately fond of Brussels sprouts and I'm always looking for new ways to serve them, much to My Beloved's dismay. He will eat Brussels sprouts but he says he doesn't have to like it.

Recently, we discovered a trick for making sprouts palatable to the non-sprout lovers in the crowd, to wit, they taste great if they are raw, or nearly so. Cooked, especially if cooked too long, they can be mushy, sulfurous and just plain nasty. Raw or only lightly cooked, they are crunchy and mild. I've been riffing on gently cooked sprouts all winter.

When I discovered a package of turkey soup in the freezer, I thawed it for lunch one day. Looking into the pot, there was very little inspiration. Tan broth, tan meat, pallid zucchini, nearly colorless onion, white corn - it looked like winter feels. However, when I added three or four thinly sliced Brussels sprouts and a handful of sliced green onion to the pot, it started to look more lively. When it was hot and the sprouts were just barely cooked, a sprinkling of garlic croutons (Andronico's makes delicious ones and sells them in the salad aisle) added another flavor layer and a nice, crispy texture to complement the still-crunchy sprouts and the richness of the soup base. Even My Beloved enjoyed this face lift for an otherwise dispiriting winter soup.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I've been forbidden to add sprouts to soups, after one particularly terrible soup.
Sigh.

Sunday, January 24, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

There is absolutely no question that's a beautiful soup. (We might have to swap husbands for a meal or two; Cranky wants Brussels sprouts -- I do not.)

Sunday, January 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, oh, dear. Sympathy sending.

Cookiecrumb, well, thanks but I think I'll keep mine - he's starting to see the light about sprouts. :-)

Monday, January 25, 2010  
Blogger julie said...

hi! my husband also hated brussels sprouts...until we ate the ones at Firefly in Noe Valley, roasted till crispy with truffle oil and a shower of parmesan. now he begs for them! i also like roasting halved sprouts at 400 degrees with sliced red onion, diced green apple, olive oil and balsamic...

Monday, January 25, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Julie, ooooooo, thanks for the new ideas!

Monday, January 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home