Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lemony Cheesy Oniony Ricey

My Beloved did the grocery shopping this week and he always comes back with stuff I'd never think to ask for. Lamb burgers for dinner tonight! I should send him more often.

Alongside the lamb burgers, I needed a little something and I had a some Massa brown rice left over so I decided to doctor it up a bit.

The shallow tub of lemon quark in the fridge seemed promising, so I stirred about a tablespoonful into the warming rice, squeezed in half a Meyer lemon to augment the lemon flavor, and added a chopped green onion.
Quark has a texture like fine-grained ricotta The cheese got all melty in the warm pan and the lemon flavor bloomed nicely with the mild onion. As an impromptu side dish for a dinner My Beloved chose, this was pretty darn good. I should send him more often.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Lemons, cheese and onions OH MY! That could be a dinner on it's own.

Sunday, January 31, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love all this recent dairy experimenting, Zooms. You can make homemade quark, dead easy. Let me know if you want a recipe. (Mine doesn't have lemon, but...)

Sunday, January 31, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you're right, it could be an interesting risotto if I just added some green peas.

Cookiecrumb, I've made cheese at home using lemon juice and it was quark-like but not sweet like the kind I get at the farmer's market. I'd be interested to see your recipe.

Sunday, January 31, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'll go search for it; it's an ancient Chron recipe and possibly not lovely. Maybe the secret is getting the best milk you can find.
Hey! We both did rice today, and we both did pork chops the other day. What's for tomorrow?

Sunday, January 31, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, hmmm, good question. I guess I'd better go check the freezer! ...the answer is tamales! :-)

Sunday, January 31, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home