Monday, February 1, 2010

Impromptu

Cousin J-Yah and I always have fun together, even if we don't always do what we had planned. We were headed out to the California Palace of the Legion of Honor (don't you just love that name? So unexpected and deliciously pretentious) to see the Cartier exhibit and to have lunch at Tal-y-Tara when we diverted to Clement Street on a whim to visit Kamei - and never did make it in to drool on the jewels. Next time!

We lucked into a parking space right in front of the store facing the colorful display of plastic storage containers on the sidewalk, fed 50 minutes worth of quarters into the meter and sashayed inside for a quick look around.

Kamei is an amazing store, filled to overflowing with everything a cook could dream of. I had trouble finding the mandolines among the welter of other gadgets, cookware, china, lucky bamboo, orchids, pots, pans and housewares so I asked at the cashier's desk and was immediately told, "Aisle Four." I love stores where the cashiers are knowledgeable and helpful! Of course, I had cruised Aisle Four several times myself without finding them so I went back with doubt in my heart - and found at least five different kinds of mandolines to choose from.

Anyway, here's my latest Kamei find, a hand-held mandoline that slices and juliennes in three widths and stores with the wickedly sharp blades retracted. It has a finger protector, too, thank heavens, or I'd surely have sliced my knuckles instead of the red onion I used for practice.

Cousin J-Yah and I dithered happily over our various choices until the time ran out on our meter, so we fed it another quarter and rushed back inside to finalize the transactions. We have another Kamei convert on our hands - Cousin J-Yah is already planning a return trip! I'm going, too. And we might even get over to the Legion to see those baubles next time.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I love kitchen supply stores! I try to stay away because I always find things that I "need".I have a gift certificate for Sur la Table burning a hole in my pocket as I type.

Monday, February 01, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love Kamei and only go there when I'm with a friend who has a car. I've had to stagger back home via the bus loaded to the max with some great and inexpensive find. I was into Fimo/plastic clay for the longest time and my favorite tool was a pasta machine that I bought there for a song and a dime. Then, there were the trays that I only used for baking my small pieces, little cabinets to keep my goodies in .. the list goes on and on.
Do try to make it to the Cartier exhibit - you will come away dazzled. The huge diamond from South Africa is worth the price of admission. I have never seen anything like it - more sparkles than the crown jewels at the Tower of London.

Monday, February 01, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, my only limitation in stores like that is storage space for all the goodies I'd love to buy. Luckily, lack of space keeps me (mostly) honest.

Nancy, I do intend to go drool on the cases at the Legion while the show is open. I have to admit to a weakness for flashy jewelry. :-)

Monday, February 01, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cool mandoline! It makes me want one, but I already have three.
So funny that you missed the show in order to linger at the Kitchen Gadget Museum.

Monday, February 01, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, three! Wow!

Monday, February 01, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ooo, suffering serious mandoline envy

Tuesday, February 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, you must be envying Cookiecrumb's plethora.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home