Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Lunch

Having recently been to Tal-y-Tara to have their Motorloaf of different sandwich fillings, I was inspired to pull Cousin J-Yah's tiered plate out of the closet to assemble a splashy-looking lunch. There's something magical about tiers - the same food looks downright fancy when cut into smaller portions and arranged airily above the table.

I had only white bread in the house but enjoyed adding a variety of fillings to the very thin slices - ham and cheese, cheddar and chutney, egg salad, sliced chicken with cranberry sauce. A few tiny, bright clementines and a slice of Chilebrown's wonderfully fruity and nutty fruitcake (we are parceling it out, trying to make it last forever), and you have a feast fit for four kings.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Presentation is everything. When I worked the tea service at hotel fancy it was my job to wheel the food up from the kitchen.The sandwiches looked quite homely until placed on a three tier similar to yours.But oh yes,they were good!

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

All right that is not fair. You need to bake the bread.Then toast it with love. That is a fancy display tower. I wonder what different cuts and slices of bacon would look like on your tower?

P,S Eat a couple of sices of fruitcake for inspiration.

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ooooo it looks like High Tea.

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, piss. I love it. I need one myself. Beautiful.
(And: clementines on sandwiches? So Pandora!)

Saturday, February 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I'm learning what you knew all along - we taste with our eyes as well as our tongue.

Chilebrown, we are still enjoying the fruitcake, a little at a time. Savoring.

Morgan, it felt a little like that, too.

Cookiecrumb, I haven't seen the movie yet (and likely won't), but I gather that's a reference to Avatar rather than the Greek Pandora. Does Pandora look like a tangerine?

Sunday, February 07, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I haven't seen the movie either, and likely won't. But that's what I was referring to, if only imaginarily. Tangerine sandwiches!

Sunday, February 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, now that's a new idea for me - tangerine sandwiches! Maybe spread the bread with creme fraiche or yogurt?

Monday, February 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home