Monday, December 28, 2009

Taste Test

This photo should make all fruitcake lovers jealous - we got to taste two distinctly different ones this year.

On the left is Chilebrown's wonderful dried fruit and nut version - very California with figs, dried apricots, dates, raisins and almonds held together with only a modicum of cake. It is only as sweet at the rich fruits in the cake. Absolutely killer.

On the right is my family's gold standard, Aunt Virginia's traditional fruitcake, colorful with preserved cherries, pineapple, unnamed green thingies, a mere suggestion of cake and redolent of good cognac.

Which is the best?

Both.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aunt Virginia's looks good, and very traditional. I like the meager batter proportion.
Chilebrown's looks so California! I'd add apricot, and die happy. (And did you know he grows his own walnuts? Where are they?)

Monday, December 28, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, ooops, he did add dried apricot, I just forgot to list it. And it was da bomb!

Monday, December 28, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

A couple of old West Coast food writers, James Beard and Helen Evans Brown, would love CB's version.
(Kudzu? Comments?)

Monday, December 28, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

My fruitcake is basicaly a Julia Child recipe with a couple of twists. The Walnut tree died.

I liked Aunt Virgina's too!

Monday, December 28, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, years ago, I made a fruitcake similar to Chilebrown's, a Sunset magazine recipe, I think, but his is much better.

Chilebrown, we are still savoring both kinds - are we lucky, or what?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The walnut tree died? How sad. I hate it when a tree dies (though I have wished evil thoughts on my pear tree in the summer).

Tuesday, December 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home