Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dreamy or Nightmarish?

Confession time. Guilty pleasure here. I love iceberg lettuce salads. There, I've said it.

I don't need anything more than a thick wedge of crisp, sweet iceberg lettuce drazzled liberally with either ranch dressing from a wishbone-shaped bottle or real Roquefort dressing. I learned to love this salad from my Dad, who always ordered it in restaurants, back in the Dark Ages when it was what anyone meant by "salad," except possibly the French. My mother was all about Romaine and vinaigrette so my Dad and I had to stick together.

When My Beloved is away on business, this is occasionally my dinner. You can have your gourmet baby greens and radicchio with raspberry-pomegranate-whatever - give me iceberg lettuce with a creamy dressing and I'm in Dreamland.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

My mom spent many years trying to convince me that Iceburg was wonderful. Give me my "California weeds" as mom likes to call my salad choice. But since you have this in common with my mom, perhaps I could send her to your house? ;-)

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Dreamy; no question about it.
When I was little it was allowed to dump bottled orange glop on a wedge. "French" I think it was called.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I like iceberg lettuce with real blue cheese dressing and I don't much care for radicchio as I find it too bitter. So, count me as one who votes for the dreamy.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I keep seeing the wedge popping up on menus trying to be retro and comfort food. In my mind the wedge never went away. I vote for blue cheese dressing.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger Pink Granite said...

It's a classic.
When we were at McKay's in Bar Harbor, Maine in October, I ordered a "Wedge Salad: A crisp, halved mini with creamy blue cheese dressing, red onion, balsamic reduction and bacon" It was terrific!
Enjoy!
;o)
- Lee

Wednesday, December 23, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, yes, send her over and we'll enjoy an iceberg salad together.

Cookiecrumb, I had almost forgotten about "French" dressing. Maybe "repressed" is a better word?

Nancy, yes, there's something fun about the sweet crunch of the lettuce paired with the creaminess of the tangy dressing. Yum.

Greg, another blue cheese lover!

Lee, that does sound wonderfully decandent and retro, doesn't it? Might have to try that the next time My Beloved is away on business.

Thursday, December 24, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I like the French WITH the Roquefort - but not real Roquefort, the fake, bottled stuff. When is he going to be gone again?

Thursday, December 24, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, he will be home until after New Year's, I think. After that, I might try your riff, too.

Thursday, December 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home