Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dishwasher's Dinner

My Beloved and I have a deal - when I cook, he does the dishes. If he cooks, I do. Mostly, I do the cooking - he says he can keep himself from starvation but I'm the better chef. Having tasted some of his creations, I'm not sure his description is accurate but I do like to cook, so I don't resist.

Each evening, we clean up the kitchen together - he washes the dishes and I putter around putting away the leftovers and cleaning the counters. He is particularly grateful when I use fewer pots and pans; the nights when I get really creative and use every pot in the kitchen elicit a heavy sigh. This meal was his favorite for that reason - I only used one wide frying pan.

Cookiecrumb had extolled the virtues of cooking pork chops in butter and she's right, it does make a lovely difference. Being lazy, after the chops had browned I popped the sliced carrots in next to the chops, then added sliced onion and, in the last few minutes, the broccoli. The chops, carrots and onions emerged nicely caramelized and the broccoli was still brightly green and just tender. Nothing fancy for this workday meal, but it was all delicious and, best of all, made for an especially easy cleanup.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Will wash dishes for food - a nice arrangement. I hate cooking shows where they use six or eight pans and loads of dishes.Thirty minute meals and two hour clean up.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very nice!
I love your headline.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, My Beloved agrees with you! But, he enjoys the more complicated meals, too.

Cookiecrumb, giggle, blush, thanks. We went to the little Mac store in San Rafael - thanks for the tip!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky tells me there is more than one little Mac store here. Did you go to Marin Mac Shop on C St.? I bet you did; nice place.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, we did go to Marin Mac and Johnno, the very young but very knowledgeable man with serious ear piercings helped me choose a new laptop to replace or augment my aging iMac. I'm tickled pink!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

We should all be so lucky that our lazy cooking turns out so delicious. I've made lazy dinners as well but most of them are best forgotten.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Ooops.. me again. I just saw Greg's post. Amen, amen and amen. Whenever I see one of those fancy cooking shows, I am sorry for the clean up crew.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, yes, I find it discouraging when cleanup takes longer than the pleasure of eating does. Pity the poor sous chef and the dishwashers.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home