Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Artichoke That Ate Chicago

Doesn't this remind you of Audrey II, the carnivorous plant from Little Shop of Horrors?

She was a gift from My Beloved's daughters, Sarah and Katie, who harvested her from a garden up near Boonville where they were spending the weekend celebrating a significant birthday. Fiercely purple and green, Audrey II was large enough (fully 8 inches across - I could fit only one in my largest pot) and looked ferocious enough to be a maneater.

Instead, Audrey was meaty herself, with huge leaves tipped with thorns but based with rich, flavorful tidbits. The heart was as wide as my hand - perhaps we should have saved it as the base for a wonderful poached egg but I didn't think of that in time. Instead, we added olive oil and red wine vinegar to the water, steamed her for nearly an hour before she sighed and softened, then dipped each leaf and each bite of the heart into mayonnaise thinned about 1-1 with Meyer lemon juice, and savored it all.

Best of all, there are three more of these monsters lurking in the fridge! Thanks, girls!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Feed Me!!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

I can hear the late Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops singing the movie theme song!

MB

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Artichokes! Among the "A" vegetables, it is my favorite. Lucky you to get a homegrown one.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Hey Zoomie, Are you going to the Farmers Market/Stroll tommorow night. That magnetic,warm Narci(sstic) David is supposed to be there at 6. I think he will tell everybody how great he is. I might stop by after work for some laughs and some vegetables.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

CB: OMG! I have Narsai stories for you.... Some day.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

CB, yes, we'll probably go - after all, it's not every day our little town gets its very own farmer's market! I have no idea who David Narsai is - I'll have to do some research before tomorrow!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Aha, not David Narsai but Narsai David! I guess you can tell I'm not much into popular culture, even foodie culture...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Gimmie! I want! I am just now recovering from Open Studios and a test on Tuesday. I need foooodddddd to help me recover my strength.
Feed me, Seymour!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Oh - I forgot to add. So, no love for Narsai David? I used to like his show in TV - don't tell me he's a jerk in real life.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, glad to hear the pressure is off for the moment! When does the semester end?

Wednesday, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Last test tomorrow (Friday) and then, I have to catch up with the rest of my life. Did somebody mention the word vacuum?

Thursday, May 14, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Aw, don't vacuum on your first day off - go on a picnic! visit a gallery! go walk on a beach! anything but vacuuming! :-D

Thursday, May 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home