Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fridge Clearing Pizzas

So, we had these very large homemade English muffins lying around, really too big to enjoy with breakfast, so big they really are breakfast. What to do?

As usual, I had a lot of odds and ends in the fridge so it occurred to me in a blinding flash of brilliance that I could make English muffin pizzas and, in an even more brilliant inspiration, that I could let My Beloved construct his own dream pizzas while I assembled mine.

I fried a strip of bacon and chopped it; sizzled some minced herbed salami; and sauteed a single breakfast link worth of sausage for the meaty choices. Prepped some sliced green onions, tomato, broccoli, mushrooms, minced garlic for the veggie part. Made some tomato goop as a base for all that pizza goodness (
mix tomato sauce and tomato paste in roughly equal proportions and add oregano to taste), and we were ready to roll.

On the right is my traditional combination of muffin brushed with olive oil, tomato goop topped with mozzarella and raclette cheeses, sliced mushrooms, crumbled sauteed sausage, sliced green onion and sliced fresh tomato. Very nice, but the real winner is the one on the left. It was also made with tomato goop (To me, it's just not pizza without tomato goop) on a muffin that was lightly brushed with olive oil before topping, then layered with broccoli florets, Humboldt Fog goat cheese, crumbled bacon and some thin slices of fresh tomato.

We slid them onto the preheated pizza stone at 500 degrees for just a few minutes until all the cheese melted and lightly browned.

This is a stellar way to use up the odds and ends from the fridge - My Beloved enjoyed playing with his ingredients as much as I did, and we both ended up with a satisfying supper.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

when I was little I refused to eat tomato, so tomato goop was replaced with avocado goop. Later,as a grown(ish) up, my pizzas came with pesto rather than tomato goop. Nowadays, I like all three, and on a muffin is tops!
O, word verification, exess!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Another post of dazzling genius, not to mention humor. It must be fun playing with your food at your house. I adore pizza, adore bacon, love tomatoes - but all three on a home made muffin at Chez Zoomie.
Priceless!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Hmmm. I have some English muffins. And glad to see that I'm not the only one who has preferred pesto to tomato goop.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

The first food I ever made was English muffin pizza. I was in junior high home economic class. One of three boys in class. I liked those odds. ;)

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mudpies! Two very happy kids playing with their food.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, glad you have matured to enjoy variety in your pizzas!

Nancy, okay, remind me and next time you come over, we'll have muffin pizzas to play with.

Kailyn, you are not alone!

Greg, you and My Beloved - he had the same experience in Home Ec and his reaction was very similar!

Cookiecrumb, snort, giggle. Well, yeah!

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home