Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pottering Around In The Garden

Spring means planting things, even though I decided to give over my garden to flowers this year and put my two tomato plants into rolling pots instead. After a foray to the tomato sale, My Beloved and I went to the local hardware store last weekend and puzzled over various pots, saucers, rollers and soils, coming away with two pots of graduated size that we are hoping will be a good home for our seedlings.

Last summer, the garden wasn't sunny enough to grow tomatoes so this year I can move the pots so they get sun all day. There are already nodding yellow flowers on Paul (right) and Juliet (left).

The Master Gardeners over in Marin county started my Paul Robeson (heirloom) and Juliet (cherry) but good old Longs Drugstore seems to have started the herbs I planted around the tomatoes.

I have sweet basil, garlic chives, lemon thyme (regular thyme and rosemary already well established in the flower garden), sage, dill and oregano. I can hardly wait for the herbs to grow big enough to yield something for the kitchen. Several of these are new to me, at least in fresh form, so I'm looking forward to cooking with them all.

I admit to having also purchased a packet of greenie beanie seeds, which I will sow amongst the flowers - they did well last year and I do love beans fresh from the garden.

An avid gardener I will never be, but spring brings out what few farming genes I have. Here's to another great season!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Which reminds me, I must put the seedlings into some actual soil before they die.
ta

Saturday, April 25, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, which reminds me that I need to go water mine!

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I think you are going to need to get separate pots for your herbs. Those tomatoes will overtake your pot hopefully. Sorry to backseat garden.

Monday, April 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home