Saturday, April 18, 2009

Like Reece's For Breakfast

You'd think that somewhere in my 60+ years of eating I'd have encountered Nutella before now but I never had so I bought a little packet of the stuff to try one day last week.

I toasted up some plain white bread, the Pain du Lait they sell at my local Santa Fe Market, and spread a little of the sweet, chocolatey, nutty spread on it. What can I say? It was sweet, chocolatey and nutty. Fine. Good. But not really world-class until I added a nice swipe of chunky style peanut butter to the mix.

Now you're talkin'!

Sweet, salt, chunky and smooth, all a the same time, with a haunting similarity to Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, just not quite so sweet. Killer for breakfast.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

It's a great combination... If you want to feel self-righteously healthy... spread them on an apple slice (thickly, of course - both of them)

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

You can buy a swirly nutella here, I've not idea what the swirl is and no intention of ever finding out

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I never thought to eat Nutella that way. I tried it once and didn't much care for it but with peanut butter.....off to try it out. Intrepid explorer and all that stuff.

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Reese's are peanuts. Nutella if I am not mistaken is hazelnuts. Just like some folks won't do snails, I can pass on a lot of nuts. My short list is peanuts, walnuts and pecans. If I am cooking with some other nut, then it's for someone else's consumption -- which is why I rarely gain weight from my holiday baking. Because I recognize that other folks love tastes that I don't.

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, apple slices, huh? Interesting idea!

Morgan, aren't you curious? I'd want to try it, just to see...

Nancy, you and me both, kiddo. Intrepid explorers.

Kailyn, Nutella is chocolate and hazelnut "butter" but I couldn't taste the hazelnuts over the chocolate. To me, it tasted mainly of very sweet milk chocolate.

Sunday, April 19, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, I'll read the jar next time I see it, as for tasting it, NOPE, no way.

Sunday, April 19, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

We await with bated breath your report about what's in the swirls.

Sunday, April 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home