Monday, April 13, 2009

He Was Here!

On Easter morning, scattered among my pretty spring daffodils, here was proof that the Easter bunny had been to our house. Chocolate eggs in pretty spring colors to decorate our dinner table.

When I was a tadpole, my Dad used to write rhyming clues to lead us to our Easter treats. Dreadful poetry, but we had so much fun following his treasure hunt from place to place in the house and garden until we discovered our Easter baskets or, as we got older, a single huge box of chocolates to be shared by all.

In choosing from the box, the family rule was that one must take the first one s/he touched; this, to discourage us from fingering pieces and then putting them back. Ick. There was a lot of pondering and scrutinizing before we took each piece until big brother J figured out that he could run his finger down a whole row of chocolates to claim them all! Chaos ensued, with finger pointing and loud recriminations, until the parental units intervened to restore order. Sounds a little like the banks and car companies arguing for their bailouts, doesn't it?

Anyway, I continued the rhyming clue tradition with my Fairy Godchildren and they loved it well into their twenties. I hope they will see fit to continue it with future children, whether their own or beloved friends', as it is a tradition well worth keeping. I hope the Easter bunny made it to your house, too, and left you chocolate evidence of his presence.




Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Another delightful story from your basket of stories! Actually, I'm not that fond of Easter chocolate because it's too sweet and milky for my (now adult) taste. But I love lamb and share a festival meal with friends at a local cafe which specializes in North African/Tunisian cuisine. Then, we went back to my apartment and had strawberries a la Zoomie (cream, vanilla scented turbindo sugar) for desert. Thanks for the recipe and thanks for the lovely stories.

Monday, April 13, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

chocolate eggs MMMMMM!

Monday, April 13, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My parents used to hide the eggs in the garden, I'd look and look, not find any and weep. Then mum would point out the "hidden in plain sight eggs" for me.
Nowdays I leave the eggs for Mr Brown on his armrest or on top of the TV - no tears at our house!

Monday, April 13, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I have daffodils on my table too, so cheery! And you know I had a good Easter! Sounds like yours was wonderful as well.

Monday, April 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, these eggs are actually Neuhaus, so not too sicky-sweet and filled with all different wonderful flavors. Your celebration sounded wonderful - and I'm glad you enjoyed the strawberries again!

Greg, amen to that!

Morgan, I was never that good at finding the eggs in an egg hunt, either - the older kids were faster and more experienced.

Anna, nothing says "spring" to me more than daffodils.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home