Friday, April 10, 2009

Care Package

Is our government still sending CARE packages? Have you read 84 Charing Cross Road? I hope so, and yes, I did, respectively. I grew up with the happy knowledge that my government was helping our allies and former enemies, and I loved the diffident relationship between a British bookseller and a struggling American writer. So, when my own CARE package arrived from friends Wenirs and Ray last week, I was delighted.

Among the various goodies in the package were an herbed salami, a nicely nutty Gruyere cheese, salt caramels, a block of rich dark chocolate and a package of red rice from the Camargue region in France. As a girl, I was horse crazy and lusted after one of the white horses of the Camargue so, surprisingly, I knew where the Camargue was (southern France) and that the region is famous for its rice as well as its horses.

I cooked it up with onion and chicken stock to accompany a dinner of Cornish hens, which it did admirably, but the real home run with this rice as a breakfast food this morning. It has a nutty flavor and the outer hull is a little bit chewy with a creamy soft middle. The chicken stock enriched it and the onion sweetened it just a bit. With a dash of salt and a tad of butter, it made a sustaining breakfast and I felt well CAREd for. Thanks, Ray and Wenirs!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

This sounds so fabulous! It's such fun to give and receive special packages that have lots of remininsce in it as well.

Friday, April 10, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The rice revolution is on. About time we caught the drift.

Friday, April 10, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love care packages, sending and receiving. My mum used to send them to me, when I first left home and I'm planning a special one for my sister, for when she produces her latest loinfruit.

Friday, April 10, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, yes, CARE packages are the best!

Cookiecrumb, hooray for rice!

Morgan, I hope you'll share with us what's in the package for your sister once the baby is here.

Monday, April 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home