Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Snacky Leftovers

Tools for some mysterious job? Martian food? A newly discovered life form?

Naw.

Remember the pastry I used to make the Apple Hearts? This is what's left after you cut a dozen hearts out of a sheet of puff pastry. The package insert said I could make savory bread sticks out of the leftovers by combining and re-rolling the pastry but I thought the quirky shapes would be even more fun.

I spread them out on a piece of parchment paper over a baking sheet, tucking back any really thin ends so they'd bake evenly, and sprinkled them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a little savory, salty taste. Each one got an additional topping - some were topped with freshly ground pepper for My Beloved who adores pepper and the rest got a bit of Herbes de Provence, my sprinkle of choice. I patted the toppings down gently into the pastry to make sure they would stick, then slid the sheet into a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until they were puffed and browned.

Light as air and nicely savory, I'd make these again in a heartbeat - they'd make a tasty and very easy hors d'oeuvre that wouldn't fill people up before the main event. They don't keep very well, however. I put them into a plastic bag without refrigerating them and they were a little flat tasting the next day. You'd do well to refresh them with a few minutes in the oven if you've kept them overnight, after which they are again crisp and light, but be careful not to burn the bottoms.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

I think I have some puff pastry in the freezer that could be repurposed for this. Bought it believing it was pyllo in a non-thinking moment, and hadn't figured out what to do with it.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mutant Goldfish! Yumza.
I have the same propensity: I like to bake the leftover dough in exactly the shapes god intended. Cute.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, if you have Dufour brand, the recipe for making "real" breadsticks is in the insert.

Cookiecrumb, ha! mutant goldfish- love it! That would have made a much better title. May I steal it?

Thursday, April 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home