Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Teri Light

In the aftermath of the attack, My Beloved brought home sympathy presents for Cora and me. Cora got a package of stew meat that I will make into stew for her as soon as the vet okays it. He gave me a bouquet of mixed bright flowers, a small box of chocolates, a dozen tangerines and a tri-tip roast. You'd think it was I who got her ear bitten.

Mild weather always makes me think of barbecuing and we were having gloriously sunny, warm weather so I thought about a marinade for the tri-tip. I was in the mood for teriyaki but didn't want the sweet, heavy flavors, so I experimented with what I'm calling Teri Light.

Orange peel, light soy sauce, chopped green garlic, sugar, ginger, rice vinegar, orange juice, pepper, tri-tip. I can't really tell you how much of each I used, just sort of splashed them into a baggie, tasting and changing until it tasted sweet-tart-salt-lightly spicy, then popped the meat in and left it out on the counter for about an hour while I prepped the Weber, started the fire and made a lemony dipping sauce for the accompanying artichokes. Oh, and I turned the baggie a few times during that hour to marinate all sides of the roast.

I grilled it for about 7-10 minutes per side over a medium-hot fire. The result was killer, exactly what I had hoped, with all the teriyaki flavors laid very lightly over the beefy goodness. We had trouble restraining ourselves. I quickly popped the leftovers into the fridge to get them out of sight. Cora was looking hopeful and pathetic (did I mention that she graduated summa cum laude from the Sarah Bernhardt School of Acting?), so after dinner I cut up the last slice on my plate into small bits, which she took ever so gently from my fingers.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Orange teriyaki sounds so good!!!
And... you are a master of the grill. Look at that pink meat.
Good girl, Cora!!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh good golly that sounds good. Need beef now.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

& Now I crave red meat.
I love the way a good dog takes things from your fingers, so gently. Mr Brown's Nikki used to do that, never slobbered, you barely knew she was accepting the treat.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, guess where we got the orange peel? Yep.

Greg, get beef now.

Morgan, yes, this behavior was a lovely surprise. When you adopt a dog, you never know what they've been taught, but Cora came already gentle.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home