Sunday, March 22, 2009

Over The Top Oysters

The sign inside The Village Fish House restaurant in Carmel Valley gave lip service to eating locally, offering discounts Tuesday through Friday for drinking local wines or ordering locally raised food. Why then, did they offer only oysters from the Hood Canal in Washington State instead of the excellent locally grown oysters available here in Northern California?

I can only assume it was for their size. The picture doesn't do them justice but each shell was as long as my hand and nearly as wide.

This "appetizer" plate of six of the biggest, plumpest, juiciest oysters I've ever eaten would have satisfied the appetite of a stevedore and killed the appetite of anyone who labors less than that! Simply enormous, they are the only oysters I've eaten which required two large or three smaller bites to consume - I honestly don't think they could have been downed in a single swallow.

They were cooked to perfection with a very light dusting of garlic mince and buttered crumbs on top and bathed in nothing but their own briny goodness. They had been oak-grilled so they had a smokiness as well - pure, over-the-top oyster goodness, even if they did come all the way from the Hood Canal.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Years ago Cranky and I took such a liking to Hood Canal oysters (though the ones we ate were younger than yours; not allowed to grow as large) that we actually made a pilgrimage out to the Hood Canal operation when we were visiting Washington.
It was closed (weekend). Not a soul in sight. But there were oyster shells everywhere!

Sunday, March 22, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, we should drive out to Johnson's or Hog Island one time and get ourselves some of those lovely west Marin ones! Maybe come barbecuing weather, as they are delicious grilled.

Sunday, March 22, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love BBQ oysters.
BTW, we were told at some local Marin restaurant that the reason they were serving Oregon (or was it Washington?) oysters is that the local companies don't grow enough oysters to supply all the restaurants that want them.

Sunday, March 22, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Brown eats the monsters RAW, a dozen on Saturday the piggy. I'm not particularly keen, too much like mucus, but I've tried bbq-ed ones and lived :)
Thoses things look like they could choke a horse!

Monday, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I did try a raw one once and once was enough. Mr. Brown must be made of sterner stuff than me.

Monday, March 23, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I can eat TWO dozen raw. And I got the hair on my chest to prove it.

Monday, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, Holy Cow! I'm impressed.

Monday, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Brown could eat 16 dozen raw oysters if he wanted to - his uncles had oyster farms, he's got the hair on his chest and everywhere else to prove it!
Which is why I don't eat oysters, spoil my cleavage ;)

Tuesday, March 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home