Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Artichoke

I'm probably anthropomorphizing too much to say that this artichoke was happy, but that's the word that sprang to mind as I peeled back the layers of leaves to find its earthy heart.

Steamed first, I think with some olive oil in the water as it was gleaming, then grilled to near-blackness, it was one of the best thistles it has been my pleasure to consume. The grilling imparted a smoky depth to each leaf and the heart was especially rich in flavor. A squeeze of lemon was all that was needed - it was served with some kind of mayonnaise-y sauce but the oil with which it was steamed gave it plenty of richness.

We found this preparation at The Village Fish House restaurant in the Carmel Valley. I'm going to try making it at home as soon as we have a good grilling day. I could steam extra artichokes one day and grill the leftovers the next day, two happy pleasures for the work of one.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My favorite vegetables start with A.
I haven't had a grilled artichoke. I'd worry about the smokiness. I've had grilled mushrooms that simply caught too much carcinogens in their gills.
But. This looks (and sounds) great.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009  
Blogger Kay said...

I love artichokes. Was the choke fuzz removed in the grilled one?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, only the part that touched the grill was truly carcinogenic - and tasty! :-)

Kay, no the fuzz was still there for me to remove but easy to do as it had been well steamed before grilling.

Thursday, March 19, 2009  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

This was one of the best 'chokes I have had over the decades of testing same. (g)

MB

Sunday, March 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home