Friday, March 13, 2009

Dog Day Morning

In the time Before Cora (BC), I used to go for walks at Point Isabel just to enjoy the scenery and the happy dogs running free, off-leash and loving life. I was a little envious of all the dog owners, who seemed to be having just as much fun as their dogs, but at the time, I had two cats at home and a full-time job. I'd enjoy the walk and a stop at the cleverly-named Sit and Stay Cafe, but always wished for a canine companion to enjoy fully the Point Isabel experience.

Ever since Cora arrived in our lives, I've been thinking of treating her to a morning with her brethren. She gets mightily excited when other dogs are around and her herding genes come to the fore - she always tries to get any and all dogs (and people) into a bunch, and will run and bark tirelessly until she is satisfied. I had my doubts about how she'd react to hundreds of dogs at a time.

This morning being sunny and crisp, the lure was irresistible; after a hearty breakfast of Cheese Dreams, I bundled her into the car and headed for the park. Point Isabel has 23 joyous acres of grass, water, fields and sidewalks and ever so many dogs of all descriptions, from mincing Chihuahuas with attitude to lumbering Newfoundlands without - Cora was on overwhelm from the first minute. She ran, she chased, she sniffed, she barked, she waded up to her watchit in the puddles - in short, she had a whale of a good time and would still be there running if a kind stranger hadn't stepped on her trailing leash for me to bring her to a panting halt.

Then, off to the aptly-named Mudpuppy's, a facility where one can either bathe one's own dog or have the kind staff do it for you. I opted for the latter and went to Sit and Stay for the best cup of coffee I've had in the Bay area while they rinsed all the mud of the morning from her coat. The dog I got back 15 minutes later was sweet smelling, fluffy and ready to go again! This girl has stamina!

We came home, however, as I had had enough walking for one day and as I write she is flat out in the sunshine, yipping in her sleep, reliving in her dreams a fine dog day morning.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What an utterly delightful morning. I am so happy for you and Cora.

Friday, March 13, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Great seeing you yesterday, Zoomie. If only we could have brought our pups! Next date = dog friendly.
(Reminder: the two sites I mentioned to you are Bloglines, and SiteMeter.)

Friday, March 13, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

This is what I miss about not having a dog. The cats are fine for the indoor stuff, the wandering about the garden bits, but you really need a dog running wildly, ears flapping, tail wagging, tongue lolling with joy to appreciate a proper walk.
I miss having a dog.

Friday, March 13, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Morgan: It depends on the dog. I have an animated Steiff toy, Maltese version. He's scared of other dogs.
But he's great around the garden.
(He does wag his tail while he's dreaming. Isn't that fabulous?)

Yo, Cora! Let's meet.

Friday, March 13, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I think the coffee is from Catahoula's. Did you have a Frosty Paws?

Saturday, March 14, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Sit and Stay love that name.

Sunday, March 15, 2009  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Ahhh... the joys of having a dog. I wish I could 'beam up' Cora to my place because we could wear out both my dog and yours. They seem to both be dogs with endless energy. My dog's best buddy has disappeared and I'm left with a dog with boundless energy. I just might have to take him to the beach today.

Sunday, March 15, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

My girls have been loving running around in the fields near our house... But the fun's over, the farmer plowed today.

Sunday, March 15, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks, we are delighted with our "pound puppy."

Cookiecrumb, likewise! I'm a little afraid to introduce the so-enthusiastic Cora to your sweet little Bean Sprout, although she was very gentle with the little ones this weekend, and the ones with attitude were "in her face" so fast that she was buffaloed by them!

I went to SiteMeter on your recommendation - thanks so much!

Morgan, you're right, cats offer a different kind of delight from dogs but both are needed for the perfect life.

Cookiecrumb, how lovely that Bean Sprout wags in his sleep! I'll have to look to see if Cora does.

Chilebrown, no I was already frosty so I got a regular coffee. Delish!

Greg, yes, me, too - and Mudpuppy's - so apt!

Nerissa, I haven't tried the beach yet - I know she's going to love it but all my other dogs seized that opportunity to roll in the smelliest dead fish they could find - and there's no Mudpuppy's at the beach...

Sunday, March 15, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Zoomie, 'Frosty' Paws is Ice cream for your canine friends.

from Catahoula's newsletter, My new hangout!

Mud Puppies/Sit and Stay Café: Point Isabel Regional Park - If you have recently walked your beloved pup at Pt. Isabel, picked up a cup of coffee and wondered out loud: “Dang! This is good coffee!” Well, guess what…..It’s Catahoula Coffee. Great Park, Great Views and now Great Coffee. Both Daniel and Eddie have made Mud Puppies / Sit and Stay Café a wonderful destination of not only the East Bay…but of the whole Bay Area.

Sunday, March 15, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thanks for the info - honestly, the coffee at Sit and Stay was better than that I had at Catahoula's! How can that be? I'll have to ask them what blend they serve at Sit and Stay - it was really good, aromatic and tasty without being harsh.

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger meathenge said...

Yeah, but have you walked across, up the path on your left, around to "Tepco Beach" at low tide? Search for pottery shards?

Biggles

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Is that where the sculptures are, on the other side of the water treatment plant?

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie, I only do big dogs, little dogs are cute (the bean puppy is cuter than buttons) but I likes me a big dog.
Zoomie, one day I shall have my doggy way!
Has everyone seen the sleepwalking doggie at Cuteoverload?
http://www.cuteoverload.com/2009/03/bad-dream-bad-d.html

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, like you, I had to wait for my dog. She was worth it.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home