Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mugging For The Camera

It is billed as "The Most Dangerous Cake" because it can be made in just five minutes. When my Hawaii brother sent me this recipe, I was skeptical. How could one possibly make chocolate cake in five minutes? However, usually game for a challenge, I waded in.

Turns out, you really can, if you define "cake" fairly loosely*, as I imagine one would be more than willing to do if one was desperate for a chocolate fix. This really works.

You make this cake in a mug in the microwave. I don't know where the recipe originated but here goes; it came via email so if you're the inventor, feel free to let us know:

Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (I used unsweetened; the recipe didn't specify)
1 egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil (I'd be tempted to try melted butter next time)
3 Tablespoons chocolate chips (optional; I used less and spread them as icing on top after baking)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, mixing well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well, being careful to get all the dry ingredients that lurk in the corners incorporated. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and the vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and zap for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. Allow it to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate, if desired. (At this point, I added a layer of chocolate chips and nuked it a few seconds longer to melt the chips, then spread them like icing).

This could easily serve two, if you're in a mood to share.

*In my ancient microwave, it came out as a very dense, heavy 'cake,' somewhere on the fudgy end of brownies. Definite chocolate taste, not too sweet, surprisingly. I'm not a huge chocoholic, however, so I'd love some opinions from those of you who are.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

This looks fascinating. I'll bet my Dad would love it.

Thursday, March 05, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's just wild! Sounds like a Girl Scouts project.
Do you think you could get away with less grease in the recipe? (I'm thinking it's needed to get the cake out of the mug, but then the whole cake is kinda oily.)

Thursday, March 05, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

This is slightly hysterical -- I found this same recipe yesterday on a blog from Italy written by a woman from Kauai! What's this Hawaiian connection??

I have an old "machina" too and wonder how long I would have to cook this. Maybe I'll do it at my daughter's house and surprise my grandson.

Thursday, March 05, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, it seemed more like a science experiment than a baking event but it tasted surprisingly good.

Cookiecrumb, I thought butter would taste better but I haven't been sufficiently inspired to try it again. Maybe if you greased the mug first, you could use less oil in the batter.

Kudzu, it cooked in the time the recipe said in my circa 1979 microwave, so I think it would work in yours. I'd think this would be a total crowd pleaser for kids - instant gratification! You'd seem like a magician to your grandson!

Thursday, March 05, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Hmm, perhaps I'll wait unti we get a newbie microwave oven, the one we have at the moment was a gift from my father, when I left home 20 years ago.

Friday, March 06, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, mine is even older than yours but maybe a new one would make a lighter crumb?

Friday, March 06, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This looks amazing. I think even I could make it.

Saturday, March 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, you definitely could make it - but would you?

Sunday, March 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home