Monday, March 16, 2009

California Style Crab

Off on my birthday adventure, which had been postponed due to My Beloved's sore throat, we stopped at the Sea Breeze Market and Deli in Berkeley for a quick lunch on our way to Carmel Valley.

The Sea Breeze is a great place to enjoy on a pretty day; it's one of the first places My Beloved took me when I moved to California, and it's one of the reasons why I wanted to stay. Not only do they have good food, the extremely casual style typifies to me what is best about California, the laid-back, laissez faire vibe.

At the Sea Breeze, it's okay to bring your dog, to dress casually, to lean back in the sunshine and just chill for a few minutes. All ages are represented from grandmothers strolling their grandchildren to punk rockers with dangling chains and shiny zippers to workmen on a break - and everyone is having a good time, enjoying the sunshine and their favorite foods.

I usually order the fried oysters when I go to the Sea Breeze - they are always plump, juicy and fresh - but this time I spied on the menu board something called "Garlic Crab." Okay, so, garlic and crab being two of the highest deities in my personal hierarchy, I asked for half a crab.

I should have ordered a whole crab.

When I unwrapped the silver foil, I found steamed, cracked, fresh Dungeness crab with garlic butter poured over it, pooling in the bottom, and lemon wedges at the ready. OMG. It was simply a wonderful way to present the crab. MB and I shared like good little children but it wasn't easy. Our fingers were smeared with lemony, buttery, crabby goodness and we both had serious garlic breath by the time we finished. MB discovered that he could dip the leftover bread from his meal in the garlic butter to prolong the feast. I dipped, too.

For sheer California bliss, I can't imagine anything that could top a pretty day, garlic crab at the Sea Breeze, and an adventure with My Beloved in the offing.


Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I should not have read this first thing in the morning because now I'm going to have a hard time concentrating on work. Gah! Just checked online. They're closed on Mondays. Perhaps tomorrow...

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh boy! I'd never heard of this place. Thanks to your B.

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I have passed that place so many times when I go to my daughters in Emeryville. A definite must stop next time

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Now I'm in shock that Cookiecrumb did not know of this place since it's been around since at least when I was in high school. Of course back then they weren't "permanent."

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Kay said...

Serious envy here on the landlocked prairie. No fresh steamed crabs.

And the garlic breath, you'll cancel out each other's. It'll be fine. lol

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Didn't you mother ever tell you? NEVER order 1/2 a crab! Happy (delayed) B-day btw.

Monday, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Yum! Have to try this place!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, I should not have read the menu! But, I'm glad I did.

Cookiecrumb, it's outdoor eating only, on picnic benches but it's heaven on the right day.

Greg, like you, I might never have stopped, either, until MB took me there! Now, it's a semi-regular fave.

Kay, well, but you get great steaks, right?

Morgan, no, my Mom always wanted me to eat less, not more. She would have been wrong in this case.

Anna, wait for a pretty day when you can sit comfortably outdoors - and bring a hat - your fair complexion would burn there.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Kitt said...

Guess where I'm going for lunch today?

We're stopping at Annie's Annuals, too, which I hear is in your 'hood. I'll wave!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, yes, Annie's Annuals are just the other side of the fwy from us - I'll wave back!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Ulla said...

gorgeous!

Friday, March 20, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am going to have to go there on my next visit to the East Bay. Garlic and Crab - ummmm, bliss.

Saturday, March 21, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ulla, welcome! and yes it was!

Nancy, remind me next time you come and I'll take you there. It's not easy to access from public transportation.

Saturday, March 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home