Saturday, April 11, 2009

Crunch 'n' Munch Salad

I've been trying for the past couple of months to buy something new to me each time I go to the store, to widen my repertoire and to get out of the blogging blahs. My latest attempt is kohlrabi, a vegetable I had never tasted and rarely even heard about.

Kohlrabi is actually an enlarged stem of a plant closely related to broccoli (oh, those lovable crucifers!) so once the barrel-shaped purple stem was peeled down to its pale green innards, it tasted like very mild, crisp broccoli with celery root texture. I'd say that kohlrabi is to broccoli as celery root is to celery, a milder, sweeter cousin.

A few days ago, we ate half the kohlrabi in our Hobo Packets, but I still had a bit left, so I decided to try making a sort of chunky slaw with the remainder. I cut the kohlrabi into matchsticks and sliced a fennel bulb into into curls of about the same thickness, squeezed half a Meyer lemon over them and, just before serving, tossed both with a Dijon-style mustard vinaigrette made with Meyer lemon juice and olive oil. Garnished with lemon zest and a sprig of fennel leaf, it made a pretty salad with a manly crunch and a sweet-tart tang.

If that doesn't get me out of the blogging blahs, nothing will!


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Blogging blahs.... Yup, me too!
I haven't had kohlrabi for years - and never raw. I don't even see it here.
I guess I'll work on the asparagus for a while longer...

Saturday, April 11, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Well this would take one out of any blahs - looks great!

Saturday, April 11, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I had never seen it before and this one looked nothing like the ones in pictures I've seen. Deep purple with leaf shoots coming off in a swirl pattern, but just pale green inside.

Anna, it was tasty, for sure.

Monday, April 13, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sounds... inevitable! Brilliant riffing.

Thursday, April 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home