Friday, April 17, 2009

Stirred, Not Shaken

Whenever I have a fridge full of a little of this and a little of that, I think "stir fry!" Nothing except soup combines diverse elements into a cohesive whole quite so nicely as a stir fry.

This time, we had a slice or two of lamb left from Easter dinner, still pink the way we like it, and a whole bunch of veggies in the fridge. A tumble of broccoli florets plus the peeled, sliced stem, a few mushrooms, two cloves of garlic, minced, half an onion, two sticks of celery and a handful of cashew nuts.

Even the rice was a motley mixture of the ends of two packages, a tad of the red rice from our CARE package and enough of the sublime Massa brown rice to fill the cup the rest of the way. I sliced the lamb into mouthfuls and sauteed all the different ingredients in order of their density so they'd all be done at the same time, including just a brief sizzle for the lamb and a drizzle of shoyu plus lots of fresh black pepper.

The result was a deeply satisfying dinner that felt healthy while still delivering a rich flavor punch and ready in less than an hour (the Massa rice is more than worth the 50 minute cooking time). I sometimes forget how much fun stir frying is - and love rediscovering it each time!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

It was good to see you as allways. I am glad your doggy is okay. Here is the link for the tomatoes tommorrow. The name of the site is daily feed.

http://cemarin.ucdavis.edu/Master_Gardener/Tomato_Market.htm

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thanks again for the favas and the link to the tomato sale. I'll also check out Daily Feed. Have a good (warm!) weekend!

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I am much braver making soups than I am stir frys.
Thanks for the encouragement.
We are buying tomato seedlings from Marin Master Gardeners tomorrow!

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, welcome back! We might be coming to get seedlings, too - I might try a tomato in a pot so I can give it more sun. Last year's were disappointing. Hope you had a fine trip.

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

http://www.madmeatgenius.com/2008/04/fava-bean-soup.html

Ah zoomie, You better get there quik. Cookiecrumb may get the best tomatoes. We are going to be there at 9:01.

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, if I can get over there that early, I'll treat you to a cup of java. Thanks for the fava bean link - I've been looking at them all day and researching recipes. Nice to have a tried-and-true one in the bank!

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I too am more of a soup girl.
And I'm off to the shops come monday, to get me some of those plates.

Friday, April 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, you'll love the plates but the problem is choosing which scenes!

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I've been stir frying a lot with all my surprise ingredients from Betty's Organics. I agree about it really melding things together in a delicious way.

Saturday, April 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, I loved stir frying when I was working because I could have a balanced and delicious dinner on the table in 25 minutes flat (it takes that long to cook the white rice - Massa takes a bit longer but it's totally worth the wait).

Saturday, April 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home