Sunday, May 3, 2009

Muffins, Man

Having read on three different blogs about the ease of making homemade English muffins, I decided to try them myself. I looked at this recipe but I had no sourdough starter so I followed this one instead.

They really are pretty easy! The hardest part is the patience one needs to await the risings, and I have to admit I wasn't quite patient enough. I waited out the first rising but I hurried the second one so my muffins were heavier, denser than my usual gold standard muffins, Thomas' brand.

They were also far larger! Next time, I'd make 16 muffins from the recipe rather than 8 - one of these is a meal in itself and half of one is a good, solid breakfast!

They are tasty, however, despite the lack of rising yeast bubbles that make nooks and crannies, and I'd happily do them again another time, probably for house guests, using the overnight rising method.

There's a real thrill to making your own muffins, man!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

Sounds fun, but translate 'high grade flour' and 'standard' flour?

Sunday, May 03, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, I just used unbleached all-purpose flour and it was fine - maybe that's why they were on the heavy side? Anyway, I fudged.

Sunday, May 03, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I know the muffin, man! He lives in Drury Lane.

Great job on your first attempt, Zooms. When you try the overnight rising method next time, keep in mind that it might even infuse your dough with a little sourness. I know you have a sour tooth.

Sigh. I gotta get back to baking. It's just not my favorite thing.

Sunday, May 03, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

aww, Cookie stole my line - curse these time zones!
I love muffins but ... it's just too easy to buy them from a shop. Perhaps I'll look at the ingredient list next time, to be inspired to bake.

Monday, May 04, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I am impressed.

Monday, May 04, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, they aren't baked, they're kinda grilled - easy! And if you don't feel like baking, get Cranky to do it during the birthday month. :-)

Morgan, I have to admit I've never made these before, either - always went for the storebought. May do that again, too!

Chilebrown, now it's a fine day when one can impress one's muffin hero!

Monday, May 04, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You are right; I must have said "baking" in generalized reference to yeasty, wheaty goodness.

I am Howling over what you created for your beloved's breakfast!! :D

Monday, May 04, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, they are definitely yeasty/wheaty and good. I'm glad the breakfast bomb was a chuckle for you.

Monday, May 04, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

oh, now I gotta try!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009  
Blogger Barbara said...

Glad you enjoyed them. Using the overnight method should make for lighter muffins. I was living in NZ when I posted the recipe where they sell flour especially for cakes and a different one for doughs. The recipe is a blend of the two. But I find just using all purpose flour works fine.

Thursday, May 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home