Friday, May 1, 2009

The First Swallow of Spring

Here in California, we are spoiled. Not only is our soil fertile and our ocean plentiful (with the exception of certain overfished species) but we get to barbecue early here. Memorial Day is a month away and already we did our first planking of the year while other parts of the country are still awaiting green leaves and, in some cases, even the melting of snow.

We discovered planking about five years ago at an art and wine festival we attended on a whim. While waiting in line for a hot dog, I noticed there was no line waiting for the guy who was preparing planked salmon, so I suggested to My Beloved that we give it a try. Rarely have I tasted anything so simple yet divine. I begged for the "recipe" from the chef and he very kindly obliged me.

I've written about planking before and you can read that here, if you'd like. I can recommend it highly - it keeps the fish (or scallops, poultry) deliciously moist and tender while imparting a lightly smoky flavor to the meat. The plank shields the meat from the fierce heat of the coals and yet dinner is ready in fifteen minutes or less.

I'm not sure if the swallows have returned to Capistrano yet, but we are already swallowing our favorite summer dinner.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

My daughter gave me a plank for Christmas and I have yet to use it. Maybe it's time.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

To me, you will always be known as the planker. Remember the shingle you gave me the day we met?
Beautiful.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, well, now you could wait until the rain ends but after that - go for it!

Cookiecrumb, I had forgotten I gave you a shingle - I'm proselytizing again, aren't I?

Saturday, May 02, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Some of us need to know when to shut up. You, you should keep on swingin' that shingle, because you are so enamored by the lovely fish that results. Me too. Tell the people: If you give a man a fish... blah blah blah. If you teach a man to cook the fish on a shingle!! Heaven.

Word verification: grump

Saturday, May 02, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I grew up on planked fish, being from the Seattle area... great method for delicious results!

Sunday, May 03, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, not you! You, you should keep on blogging and commenting because yours are always a joy!

Anna, is that where planking originated? Certainly plenty of cedar in the PacNW! We just love the result!

Monday, May 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home