Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dreamy Comte' Cheese Dreams

We are still being fed by the contents of our CARE package received from Wenirs and Ray well before Easter. One of the last remnants was a nice block of Comte' cheese that I squirreled away and almost forgot until this week when My Beloved was away on a business trip and I was looking for something easy for dinner.

Scrounging around in the fridge, I found bread to toast, the Comte' and some of that easy bacon to make Cheese Dreams.

I know I've told you about Cheese Dreams before but these were truly something special. Comte' is a kind of Gruyere but my block was aged, so it was harder than Gruyere, had no holes, and was imbued with tiny crystals of a crispy, salty substance that gave the cheese a wonderful, unexpected feel as well as a nutty, almost musky flavor. In short, it was really delicious and you should run right out to your local cheese emporium and treat yourself to some! Great nibbling cheese, it also melted beautifully and sang a pretty French song with the bacon bits on toast.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Cheese and bacon? My two favorite foods. I'm trying to refrain from licking the screen.

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I need friends like that.

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, they were certainly drool-worthy.

Cookiecrumb, I think you do - all those folks you trade fruit with.

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

What Kailyn said. But I am licking screen as I type.

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ok, I think I've worked it out, it's an Open Cheese & Bacon Toastie, yes?
Yummy

Monday, April 27, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, don't lick - go make your own!

Morgan, 'zackly!

Monday, April 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home