Thursday, April 30, 2009

Aw, You Shouldn't Have

My Beloved's brother has a very nice wife. She is the mother of Jim, one of the By-the-Wind Sailors who stayed with us a few weeks ago on their way east. She was grateful for the bed we gave her son and his lady so, remembering that I had admired her Emile Henry casserole dish, she sent me one as a thank you.

Imagine!

Last winter, when we were mourning My Beloved's mother, Kim brought a delicious pan of lasagna to feed the crowds of people who came to bid that good lady farewell. When all had gone home, we were doing dishes and I remarked on how easily her lasagna pan cleaned up. I don't know about you, but I generally need dynamite and a jack hammer to get the cheesy cement off my pan when I make lasagna. This one didn't even require soaking and all the schmutz rubbed easily off.

So, here it is, pristinely white and perfect. It's so beautiful, I'm almost afraid to use it. Any suggestions for what I should make first to inaugurate such a lovely gift? Kim, you shouldn't have - but I'm so glad you did! Thank you!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger meathenge said...

My first thought is lasagna! Then a gratin! Oh joy of joys, life is grand.

xo

Thursday, April 30, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I don't have any recipe suggestions (yet) but I think that pan is beautiful enough to be mounted on the wall as a work of art. Now - back to think of recipe suggestions but what a gorgeous object. Form + function = true elegance.

Thursday, April 30, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ooo, eggplant lasagna, potato bake, cauliflower cheese, fish pie, shepherds pie, chicken & leek pie ... peach cobbler ... so mmany things! I have a lovely yellow oval one and use it all the time!

Thursday, April 30, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Come on! Lasagna!

Then... get creative.

Very nice sendy.

Thursday, April 30, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev. Biggles, the possibilities are endless!

Nancy, you're so right!

Morgan, I like the veggie lasagna idea, except we are edging into summer here. Maybe I'll make one of those funky layered taco salads...

Cookiecrumb, you said it! _Very_ nice!

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger meathenge said...

Cookie,

Whaddya mean, then get creative? Comere a second ...

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Biggles: I'd probably just put school cafeteria mac 'n' cheese in there.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, aw, c'mon, don't try to kid a kidder - you haven't eaten school cafeteria mac-n-cheese since you left the school!

Saturday, May 02, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I saw packet mac & cheese for the first time the other day, it did not tempt me.
I used my gratin dish last night though, to bake my fish pie in!

Friday, May 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home