Friday, May 8, 2009

The Gimmes

Not all the treasures at the Oxbow Public Market in Napa are edible. When I saw these lovely little napkin rings on a shelf in one of the shops, I was immediately struck with a serious case of the Gimmes.

The Gimmes, according to my mother, is an illness that hits little kids when they see things in a store that they just can't live without and they pester their mothers to buy for them:

Give me=Gimme.

Most people are worried about getting H1N1 - I'm more susceptible to the Gimmes and beautiful table wares frequently give me the Gimmes.

The birds are made of pewter in marvelously detailed castings. They stand solidly on their rings and the birds and branches are wonderfully delicate and precise. I could just picture them on my table.

I may have learned to control the Gimmes but My Beloved recognizes the signs now and, although I had passed them up as being too expensive, he bought four on the sly and presented them to me over cupcakes and milk at Kara's.

This amazing man gives me the Gimmes, too.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Love the birdie! I have the gimmes with camera stuff and flashlights. Go figure

Friday, May 08, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

First of all, I have to say that your guy is not only "your" beloved but a real prince. A lot of men wouldn't notice the look of longing, quickly suppressed at the thought of the bank account. I am completely in sympathy with the gimmes, although my weakness is for art supplies (what a surprise), books and little pretty items - tiny Netsuke, small objects carved out of jade, little carved dragons and anything that's tiny but unusual. If I had but room enough and time......

Friday, May 08, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sigh... And I remember you buying your beautiful glasses at Copia sometime back. I coveted them, but didn't make it up to Napa before the place caved in.
Really nice.

Friday, May 08, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

What a wonderful beloved you have. I'm overcome with an attack of covetousness - for the birdies, not the beloved ;)

Friday, May 08, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, watch the birdie. Through your lenses...

Nancy, yes, he's very special - spoils me rotten and, of course, I like that in a guy...

Cookiecrumb, got 'em at the CIA, not Copia, so you might have a second chance...

Morgan, I'm glad it's the birdies you covet, or I might have to kill you... :-)

Saturday, May 09, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh! Eee!
xx

PS: Hey, Morgan. That guy gives really superior hugs. I got one yesterday.

Sunday, May 10, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, she's right - he's a superior hugger!

Sunday, May 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home