Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sweet Surprises

On a recent rainy Saturday, we took Cora and our pal Sari up to Napa to visit the Oxbow Public Market, a foodie paradise next to the now-defunct Copia. It's a great location for a rainy day, as it's entirely indoors and there is a wonderful variety of shops that cater to the food-obsessed crowd, of which I am a proud member.

One of the delights we sampled that day are mini cupcakes from Kara's Cupcakes, dainty little treasures found at a truly dangerous emporium in the market. I tried one of the mocha and one of the dark chocolate velvet flavors - both are dreamy but one would have been ample. Unusual in a cupcake, the cake was as tasty as the sumptuous buttercream icing. Despite their diminutive size, they pack a wallop! We were in cupcake coma for hours afterward, even though they were not terribly sweet.

Knowing that we were headed to a birthday celebration for daughter Katie the next day, we bought a dozen of the tiny terrors to take along to the party - flavors like passionfruit, coconut, peanut butter chocolate, raspberry, lemon filled with lemon curd and carrot as well as the usual chocolate, vanilla, yadda.

The cupcakes were sweet surprises for the partygoers - they were divided and subdivided so many could taste several flavors and everyone pronounced them to be delicious and sweetly sinful.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I've missed the whole cupcake thing. Apparently it's quite the craze in the US. I hope there are some left when I visit in the fall...
I really rather love the little devils...
Good thing I missed it.... my hips are better off.

Thursday, May 07, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Kara' cupcakes are wonderful!

Thursday, May 07, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cupcakes are pretty much the only kind of cake I buy anymore, because I've not the patience for all the pretty icing decorating. Those ones are particularly pretty.

Thursday, May 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katiez, most of the cupcakes I've tried have been disappointing, so you haven't missed much. These, however, were worth all the calories.

Greg, amen brother!

Morgan, I don't think I'd have the patience to make them, either. Luckily, Kara does.

Friday, May 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home