Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Weather Report From Heaven

Two blissfully warm days in a row - it must truly be spring, Time to start barbecuing again. Oh, we've sneaked in the occasional charcoal-grilled meal during the slightly cooler months that Californians call winter but now it's serious, so we hauled out the Weber grill that My Beloved's generous mother gave us years ago. It lights the charcoal using a bottled gas boost - easy as pie.

I had a pasture-raised tri-trip roast from Marin Sun Farms and half a pot of leftover coffee so, taking a leaf from Cookblog's book, I made a sort of bastard teriyaki sauce with soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, garlic, wine vinegar and coffee and marinated the beef in that for several hours before throwing it onto the grill. Served with My Beloved's contribution of artichokes and some of the leftover gooey rice, we basked in the flavors and the warmth of the late-setting sun.

Sometimes, life is so good that no words will suffice.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You are so lucky to be able to grill. My next door neighbors grilled something last night and I practically climbed the fence trying to invite myself over. However, my manners prevailed and I behaved but I was sorely tempted. Our backyard is very overgrown with tall green weeds and is surrounded by a very old wooden fence. I don't think it's safe to let fire get anywhere near it and I don't have the energy to clean up the back yard.
I'll just kibbutz other people's food. After all, I am an artiste; I need my time to create great works of art. Or at least, keep several art supply stores in business.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008  
Blogger ChrisB said...

This looks delicious~ we have too few days when it is warm enough to cook outdoors so I always envy those who live in sunnier climes!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday was almost warm enough to barbque so I did. A whole fresh shoulder, 12 lbs of pork. Recipe from Smoke and Spice (or Spice and Smoke) about page 52.

12 hours that baby was in the smoker. I also smoked some chicken livers for an offal country terrine I was doing. Pictures of the terrine are up, pictures of the bbq should be up tomorrow or Friday.

If the weather allows it, over 50 and no strong wind from the north which blows out the gas, I grill most nights in summer. My wife does the prep, I'm only grilling normally, but it is a major tool for us in summer.

Run a hose out to the grill and soak the grass around it then leave the hose charged.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Not food related (for once). I just posted a bit about our visit to the Asian at my blog:

http://cheznamastenancy.blogspot.com/

Thursday, May 01, 2008  
Blogger Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

When we lived in St. Louis, which gets respectable winters, anytime from February on, at least one neighbor would fire up a grill on the weekend. By the time real spring hit, every Saturday, a haze of fragrant smoke would hover throughout the neighborhood. This sounds delicious--I may have to make more of an effort to grill this year.

Thursday, May 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, yes, we know how lucky we are! And I'll check out your website soonest - been out of town!

ChrisB, grab every opportunity!

ntsc, I can tell you're a _serious_ expert. I'm really just a piker but I love it!

terry b, St. Louis can have some great grilling weather even in February! Go for it!

Thursday, May 01, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

THAT'S what I'm talking about. Was I right about coffee and meat?

Friday, May 02, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I have long admitted that "You da _man_!" and the addition of coffee just proves it!

Saturday, May 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home