Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Tale of Two Spatulas

These two spatulas came into our house about two weeks ago when our old ones bit the dust in a series of kitchen mishaps that I won't go into.

The black one is made of some kind of thin, hard but flexible Space Age plastic, very light and maneuverable; the handle is hollow. If stealth aircraft had spatulas aboard, this would probably be their choice. I bought two.

The pink one was simply irresistible, supposedly designed to delight a child and I have to admit it did please the child in me. The business end is again thin, flexible but rigid plastic.
Makes me laugh.

Both of these have been absolutely great, wonderfully functional and a pleasure to use. The black one gets the most use but when I heated tortillas last week out came the pink one and the wide flower worked like a champ transferring hot tortillas with melted cheese from the pan to the plates. It would also be super for pancakes or crepes and I can't wait to try it with French toast.

I love it when functional items are so well designed that they are a pleasure to use. They weren't even very expensive - imagine!
I purchased both at Williams-Sonoma but I don't see them on the website; if you want one, visit the Corte Madera store.

They even came with a guarantee that they will survive high temperatures and negligent cooks. Ahem!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Meg Wolff said...

I really like the flower spatula best!

Saturday, April 26, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, too happy! Too, too happy. The pink one.

(That black jobbie: If stealth aircraft had spatulas aboard, this would probably cost $563.)

Saturday, April 26, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

The pink one would find it's way into my middle drawer, for smile value if nothing else.

Saturday, April 26, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I go for the pretty flower one.

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Meg, welcome - and you seem to be in the majority!

Cookiecrumb, how did I know you'd love the pink one?

DMM, yes, it has a high smile quotient, very fun to use.

Dagny, join the club - no one but me seems to like the stealth model.

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

isn't it amazing how spatulas are often the most vulnerable of utensils. I've lost more spatulas to kitchen mishaps than I have broken glasses, cups or dishes.

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mimi, I'm usually more successful at keeping them intact than I have been recently!

Sunday, April 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home