Saturday, April 19, 2008

Carnitas Heaven

Our three-pound pork shoulder roast was delicious but My Beloved and I are only two; when we cook a big hunk of pig like that, we get at least two and sometimes three or even four meals from it. This time, I decided to try making burritos as, now that I'm retired, I was missing the wonderful burritos I used to enjoy near my workplace.

I cubed and heated some of the pork, cooked Mexican rice from a recipe my friend Annie sent me from Arizona, and made salsa from Roma tomatoes, onion and a can of green chilies that was lurking in the pantry. Opened a can of black beans, sliced an avocado and some lettuce. Although my local supermarket had flour tortillas, which they call "wraps," I couldn't find real crema so I substituted creme fraiche (tells you something about my supermarket, doesn't it?) and it was quite good. Pile all that into the warmed tortilla sprinkled with a little shredded mild cheese and you have a honest-to-goodness feast!
It wasn't as good as Castellito B makes but My Beloved had just returned from an overnight sales trip to Fresno and declared himself to be one lucky guy.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

So - you're bringing leftovers when you visit my studio? I think right now I'd trade a painting for that carnita as it sounds delicious. Last night was great - lots of people, sales and fun. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend; offerings of food to the starving artist(s) are alway welcome (coughcoughcough).

Saturday, April 19, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It looks beautiful! OMG. Good going.

Saturday, April 19, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We are only two, too. I understand completely. Great looking burrito. I can only get Old El Paso (in the International Foods section) tortillas here so I don't really do much with them...
But - I could do buckwheat crepes... Great idea!

Saturday, April 19, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, congratulations on a great opening! I'm glad it was fun and profitable, too!

Cookiecrumb, gee, thanks!

KatieZ, oooh, good idea about the crepes! They are just French "wraps" rather than Mexican!

Saturday, April 19, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

The opening was great but I missed you. I'd love to see the show at the Asian before it closes. Wednesdays and Fridays work best for me as I don't have school them. What say you?

Sunday, April 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I say YES, please! I'll email you directly about setting it up.

Monday, April 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home