Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cool Curry Salad

My Beloved and I are hot weather wimps, having lived so long in the cool Bay area where spring temperatures are likely to hover around 65F; when the thermometer rises about 75F, we start to wilt. At 88+, we become melting puddles of whine.

Little did I know when I set out to use up some leftover brown rice from Massa Organics, that I would invent a great salad for a blistering hot Northern California day. I was just thinking of all the good, fresh veggies I'd like to add to the rice, never suspecting that the weather was going to turn from coolish to ovenish overnight.

I love curry flavor so I used that as the baseline, mixing curry powder with about a walnut of mayo and a blob of ricotta cheese I found at the back of the fridge (still good!). I added some lemon juice, as the mayo-ricotta was too bland and ended up adding a full juicy lemon's worth
(make your curry sauce much more tart than you ultimately want, as the bland veggies will buffer it).

Then I chopped some celery, scallions, raw broccoli florets and added biggish chunks of ripe avocado and
fresh English peas, and mixed those into the curried rice in about a 1-1 ratio of rice to veggies. Tasted it, and it was pretty good but it still lacked a little something so I thought to add raisins to get some sweet into the tart/savory blend, They were perfect, adding visual punch as well as a sweet note. I would have added bacon bits if I had had any. A little S&P and you're there.

The finished salad was delicious next to the cold chicken we had left over from the previous night's mint chicken and even good the second day, when the weather turned even hotter.

Would somebody please call the Fog Man and tell him we're ready for relief?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Yes we are spoiled living in Bay Area. I am sitting here singing the praises of the double pane windows we put in last year. Cool inside. Come on fog man!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I haven't been outdoors even once today. Nice and cool in here. ;)
OK, let me link you to a chicken-rice salad I made last year, if you want to go one step further and make it an entire meal on a plate. Then again, you are already there, ingredients-wise. Sounds terribly yummy.
http://madeater.blogspot.com/2007/04/my-600th-post-today.html

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

This looks SO delicious. I've been watering my new lettuce plants on my deck OFTEN to be sure they don't wilt... I certainly feel wilted. Curry is a wonderful blending spice!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, we did the double pane thing last year, too, but yesterday nothing helped - it was just plain HOT.

Cookiecrumb, interestingly, I almost cut up the chicken and just added it to the salad, but I (snicker) chickened out.

Anna, you've planted already? Wow, I need to get my seeds in next week for sure!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

We must have curry on the brain. I just made a huge chicken curry with enough sauce for rice/curry salad after I eat all the chicken. And yes, I am SOOOOO ready for the fog. Yesterday I managed to put in several hours at the studio but begged a ride home from a fellow artist as I was whipped. Today I got out early and got home early because the sidewalks were blistering hot at 11 AM. But I think I feel a cool breeze starting up. Hooray for fog!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think that the Gods of Fog heard you because it's certainly much cooler. Blessed, delicious coolness. If you can't make it to open studios next weekend, I've posted some shots of my studio up at:

http://cheznamastenancy.blogspot.com/

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, your prayers were answered! The fog has cooled things off amazingly!

Monday, April 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home