Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Real Spring Chicken

My Beloved and I are inveterate chicken roasters. Hard to imagine a week without it. But, even such devotees as we look for a change in the cooking method from time to time. When I found a big bunch of fresh mint at the local grocery store, it was the perfect time for a spring riff.

With this recipe, all you do is prepare the chicken for roasting, oiling the skin lightly, sprinkling whatever seasonings you enjoy, prepping some new potatoes and onions to roast alongside. Then, you cram the entire cavity of the chicken with fresh mint, as much as it will hold. As the chicken roasts, the hint of mint perfumes the meat with a light flavor - it's still roast chicken but now it's a spring chicken with pizazz!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Coleman said...

Zoomie,
So glad you stopped by my blog! After reading your profile, I looked at Groom and asked if we were living an alternate life in SF!
Great idea on the chicken and so glad you posted about The Education of Little Tree..love the story!
I look forward to reading more about you guys!!!
Mary and Groom

Friday, April 11, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

I love the roast chicken as well, especially making gravy from said chicken. But I've done it so much over the years the boys won't have anything to do with it anymore.

Cheers!

ps - They'll eat fried chicken though.

Saturday, April 12, 2008  
Blogger michael, claudia and sierra said...

i'm loving the idea of a fresh minted chicken...

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mary Coleman, welcome! You are a much better cook so I'm looking forward to learning from you!

Rev. Biggles, sad, sad story. Maybe they will relent? :-)

Cook Eat Fret, yes, different in a good way! I learned it from a Chinese friend.

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'll remember this in a month - when my mint is, once again, threatening to take over the house!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, yes, it has a way of invading, doesn't it? You can use up a lot of mint this way!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home