Friday, April 11, 2008

Cherokee Wisdom

I know this is mostly a food blog but every now and then I like to stray away when I have read a book I think the greater world would enjoy. The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter is just such a book.

The story is about a little boy who is adopted by his Cherokee grandparents when his parents die. It's a delightful insight into the way Cherokee people lived and thought, and it's also a powerful statement about racism and prejudice as readable, funny and thought-provoking for me as Huckleberry Finn, which I recently re-read. While it is presented as a book for young adults and is, indeed, an easy read, I loved it, laughed at the simple humor, and wept when it ended.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I remember reading this years ago. A lovely story. I think it is a movie also.

Thursday, April 10, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I gather they made his "Outlaw Josey Wales" into a movie, too.

Friday, April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home