Wednesday, April 9, 2008

They're Alive!

These heirloom carrots spent just a few days in the dark recesses of my reefer's crisper drawer; when I pulled them out to make soup, look what I found!

They had all sprouted rootlets, proclaiming that they are still alive! I can't recall that ever happening with industrially farmed carrots.

I felt almost guilty as I scraped off the rootlets and chopped the carrots up for soup, but I also felt satisfaction at knowing that My Beloved and I would get all the goodness these veggies had to offer.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Saikat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

From carrots to widgets...what a blog. I never liked carrots until I started getting the heirloom variety. I particularly like the purple ones as they seem sweeter.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Next thing you know, you'll be pulling carrots from somebody's cold, dead hands. You murderer!
:D

Wednesday, April 09, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I like the purple ones, too, but they dye my hands dark purple when I handle them! They'd make great pigment for your art work!

Cookiecrumb, wow, you started a whole war over there at your blog, got us all fired up!

Thursday, April 10, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

A well-proportioned mirepoix, being essential to the flavor of a good soup, the right of the people to grow and bear carrots shall not be infringed.

Friday, April 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, good one! :-)

Saturday, April 12, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Wow! Makes you want to run out and plant them....or something....
I've never seen that before.
But lovely carrots!

Sunday, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I did think about planting them but then what would I have put in my soup?

Sunday, April 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home