Thursday, April 24, 2008

Happy Find

When I lived in Japan, I bought one of these beautiful aprons and loved it to death. When it fell apart and no amount of mending would resurrect it, I finally gave up and started looking for another one. I even blogged about wanting one, 'way back in my early posting days. Even though I have lived in places with pretty good sized Japanese populations, such as Honolulu and San Francisco, I have never found another one until yesterday.

So, you can imagine my delight when I stopped in at the Thousand Cranes Futon Shop on Fourth Street in Berkeley and there it was!

Crisply white, with a little detail of lace around the neck, this was exactly the kind of apron women wore all over Japan when I lived there! Usually over a kimono but really over anything, this ingeniously designed apron wraps around to the back so even if you are inclined to wipe your hands down your sides as I have been known to do while cooking, your clothes are protected. The three-quarter length sleeves never get in the way or in the water, either - as so many Japanese-designed things are, it's a marvel of functionality as well as of simple beauty.

I could tell that the saleswoman was puzzled by my obvious delight at finding such a mundane item - she shrugged daintily and shook her head, "Crazy person to be so happy with an apron!"

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Congrats! That is one of my favorite stores on 4th Street.

Thursday, April 24, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, thanks, one of the little triumphs of life!

Thursday, April 24, 2008  
Blogger Moonbear said...

Back in the day when a pregnant belly was something to be covered, I wore the Japanese apron alot. I miss it! But not being pregnant...

Friday, April 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE one of these. Alas, I haven't seen it in any of the stores I frequent in San Jose's Japantown. I'll have to put that store on my "to visit in Berkeley" list.

Friday, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Moonbear, the grandchildren are a much better way to get the baby experience, aren't they? :-)

Mrs.L, you'll love it when you find one - they are the best!

Friday, April 25, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

Congratulations! One door opens, and another closes. You found a treasure and my life-long love closed. The Ben Davis store on University closed, Halmar I think it was. Waaaaaaa.

Biggles

ps - I wonder of Bed Davis makes one of those aprons?

Saturday, April 26, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Biggles, follow this link to other purveyors of Ben Davis clothing - including Jackson's hardware in Marin and one in Oakland.
http://www.bendavis.com/stores/california.html
New clothes for the tall guy!

Saturday, April 26, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Wow, I recognize that! Those ARE good aprons!

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, I'm tickled pink!

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

Thank you! I just sent that off to my father, he's in need as well.

Biggles

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Biggles, de nada. We live to serve.

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Barbara said...

OH that is so pretty.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home