Sunday, April 20, 2008

Homely

I will admit to a little thrill of pride when the recipe for Mexican rice that I made to go in the carnitas burritos called for chicken stock. I made my own from the bones of one of our roasted chickens and froze it back in March - finally found a reason to bust it out and see how it tasted. When I made it, I had a horrible cold and wasn't able to taste anything!

Lovely.

It was simply lovely. No extra salt, no extra anything. It was just pure chickeny goodness with a little veggie flavor from the carrots, onions, parsey and celery I had added to the pot. It made the rice richer and gave me that little lift that cooks feel when they have made something new, even when it's something as homely as chicken broth.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

It's all about the homemade broth. Every bone that remains after a meal at our house goes in the fridge or freezer for broth.

Sunday, April 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, what suggestions might you have for lamb scraps and bones? I've never heard of lamb broth, but maybe soup?

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotch Broth is or can be made with lamb stock, and lamb stock would be the perfect vehicle for lamb gravy would it not?

As with Peter, the remains bone and flesh to small for leftovers gets frozen for stock.

Water is better than canned stocks and white veal or chicken will work with just about any other non fish item.

We only buy whole chickens (or parts cheaper than whole chicken) and save the backs, freeze and use in stock. If you had a frozen chicken bring the back to a boil in as little water as possible and freeze.

We do buy chicken backs or cheap quarters, veal bones and beef bones as we use much more stock than we can generate from left overs as described. French Laundry at HOme has a post today on veal stock: http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com/2008/04/veal-stock.html

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

ntsc, welcome and thanks for the tips! I'll look up a recipe for Scotch Broth and see if it tempts me!

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I make lamb broth all the time. Soup too. The last one was half lamb, half chicken, plus a fridge full of leftovers... two days later it ended up as curry.

Does that help?

Monday, April 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, thanks! I'm thinking of something with the lamb scraps and beans - seems like a good combination, somehow.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home