Thursday, March 27, 2008

Never mind my soul, chicken soup for my nose!

Having caught a nasty bug on our last day in France, I was feeling pretty low down and cranky in my first week as an officially retired person. Then, I had the bright idea to make myself some chicken soup from the bones of our latest roast. I scrounged around in the crisper for an onion, some celery, a frizzle of parsley and wished for a carrot that I didn't have. Cutting them all coarsely, I added them to the mostly picked chicken bones in my largest pot, added a little s & p, a smattering of thyme, and covered the whole gmish with water.

After bringing the pot to a boil, I covered it and let it simmer for several hours to steep out all the goodness. When I strained it, the veggies had all gone limp, the meat was falling off the bones and the stock itself was a rich golden brown. I added back in some of the picked chicken meat and poured myself a big bowl of cure. Started to feel better almost immediately!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Just reading the recipe makes me feel good too.

Friday, March 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I'm saving the bones from this week's chicken, too. I'm not sick any more but having homemade chicken stock on hand is a bonus at all times!

Friday, March 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home